X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoakedKarma
    • Feb 2014

Hi Y'all

Off Grid 24v to 12v
    Last 10 yeas living between 35° and 48° Latitude of western US full time RVing.
    New coach new DIY solar project.. Have a 300w 12v system assembled in 2006 on old coach .

I often see 250w+ 24v A grade panels for <$1.00 a watt allowing for a 1Kw investment of $1000 or less.
    For the roof space saved seems the only way to go.

Considering Samlex 24v to 12v SDC-30 or similar to interconnect systems.
    current 550+ Ah FLA 12v storage could than be augmented by 24v system.

Option: invert 24v and recharge 12v with on-board converter/charger..
    Greater loss than dc-dc step-down I would think.

Opinions? suggestions

I'll be trolling the boards to see whats been happening since my last plunge into PV 7 years ago.

Thanks
    Soaked

[edit]
    My thinking is off Duh!

improper charge of 12v bank.. what i really need is a 40w 12VDC to 24VAC Pure Sine Wave DC/AC Inverter for CCTV to power 6 cameras, and housings w/heater blowers.. A good 60A MPPT and increase 12v battery capacity..

Soaked ~ ; ¬ )
    Last edited by SoakedKarma; 02-21-2014, 03:54 AM. Reason: Duh my thinking is flawed
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by SoakedKarma
    [edit]
    My thinking is off Duh!

improper charge of 12v bank.. what i really need is a 40w 12VDC to 24VAC Pure Sine Wave DC/AC Inverter for CCTV to power 6 cameras, and housings w/heater blowers.. A good 60A MPPT and increase 12v battery capacity..

Soaked ~ ; ¬ )
    Sounds like a better idea.
    You always have to balance the potentially lower losses of a DC distribution system with the simplicity of using the existing AC-input power supplies of all of your equipment.
    , to which you make a connection from their wall wart or power brick, then you may have an opportunity. Otherwise go with AC.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Perhaps I am missing something but no problem using 24 volt panels on a 12 volt battery so long as you use a MPPT controller. Something makes me think you have an antiquated PWM or Relay charger. No reason to convert anything as th eMPPT controller does that for you with almost no losses.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...