X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kwame
    • Jan 2014

off grid and grid tie inverter.

Hi i am Kwame, I am looking to get an off grid Solar power for a Clinic in a remote location in Africa, Ghana to be precise. I am being offered some 3kw Centro Powerstocc inverter and a sunnyboy sb1200. It clearly states they are grid tie. Can this be used for a remote location, for off grid purpose? I don't know much about Solar. Can anyone help.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Hi Kwame - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Grid tie is not what you need as it sounds like you are in a remote location.

You need to determine what the actual power requirement is - what will the consumers be, how much do they draw and for how many hours per day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Kwame
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by russ
      Hi Kwame - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Grid tie is not what you need as it sounds like you are in a remote location.

You need to determine what the actual power requirement is - what will the consumers be, how much do they draw and for how many hours per day.
      Thanks a bunch Russ. I have not really worked out the mathematics of what is required. But I would like to work around 1kw to 2Kw panels. I have been told the outback inverters and charge controllers are the best. The project is a charitable one, and on a very tight budget. So I am looking for what can work at a reasonable cost. I may have to engage a professional installer for advice if I can get one at a reasonable cost.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Kwame
        Thanks a bunch Russ. I have not really worked out the mathematics of what is required. But I would like to work around 1kw to 2Kw panels.
        You cannot do that. What happens if you put in a 2 KW panel system with a 24 volt 800 AH battery system costing some $9000 USD and yu then figure out it does not even come close to meeting your needs? Then what are you going to do after you spend all that money?

You have to work out the math. When you do you may just decide it is too expensive and not waste the money. Battery systems are extremely expensive, and batteries have to be replaced frequently. a 24 volt 800 AH battery cost some $5000 and will need replaced in 5 years. Are you ready for that?

FWIW Outback does not make th ebest equipment, they are good, but not the best.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...