X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrwbooth
    • Jan 2014

Thoughts on the aesthetics of Solar PV Panels

Hello everybody I am new to this site so am a bit unsure if I am going about this the right way. I am currently writing my dissertation on solar panels, and am researching into the extent that the aesthetics of solar panels inhibits their uptake. I would be very grateful if you could complete this very quick survey to help me along my way.

This is the first part of my research, and will be needing some industry professionals to complete a survey as my second part of research, so if any of you could help me there I would again be very thankful.

Thanks everyone
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jrwbooth
    Hello everybody I am new to this site so am a bit unsure if I am going about this the right way. I am currently writing my dissertation on solar panels, and am researching into the extent that the aesthetics of solar panels inhibits their uptake. I would be very grateful if you could complete this very quick survey to help me along my way.

This is the first part of my research, and will be needing some industry professionals to complete a survey as my second part of research, so if any of you could help me there I would again be very thankful.

Thanks everyone
    Reading this post I'm reminded of the time I was at a lecture where a very well known and very respected solar energy guru from Israel castigated the solar energy community for writing papers that were mostly useless, a waste of time and amounted to little more than academic welfare. Try - things become more accepted as time and visibility advance. QED. BTW: I hope your punctuation, grammar and sentence construction are better for your dissertation than your post.

Comment

• jrwbooth
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      Reading this post I'm reminded of the time I was at a lecture where a very well known and very respected solar energy guru from Israel castigated the solar energy community for writing papers that were mostly useless, a waste of time and amounted to little more than academic welfare. Try - things become more accepted as time and visibility advance. QED. BTW: I hope your punctuation, grammar and sentence construction are better for your dissertation than your post.
      Thank's for the supportive word's of wisdom.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jrwbooth
        Thank's for the supportive word's of wisdom.
        Welcome to the neighborhood. You want straight, constructive comment/feedback - stay tuned. You want unconditional support, buy a dog.

Comment

• jrwbooth
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          Welcome to the neighborhood. You want straight, constructive comment/feedback - stay tuned. You want unconditional support, buy a dog.
          Haha!

Comment

• Pensacola 10K
            • Jan 2014

Yah they dont look so hot on some homes

Just installed 10k system on my house and the wife is not to pleased with the looks. She's a good one so its not going to be a problem but I do have to agree it is a major detraction from the ascetics of the home. We have a long front yard with the front of the house to the south side facing the street with a very nice green architectural roof, cedar plank siding. Due to a two hip dormers on the south side the solar array layout could not be continuous and that adds to the detraction. I don't know but I think if I were to put the home up for sale as is I would be lucky to sell it for what I could have before installing the panels. Luckily with the long front yard I will be able to strategically plant a couple of trees that will obstruct the view of the roof within years with out shading the array so it will work out ok in time.

Not unhappy that I purchased the system, but I can see where others would decide against it.

Comment

• jrwbooth
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Pensacola 10K
              Just installed 10k system on my house and the wife is not to pleased with the looks. She's a good one so its not going to be a problem but I do have to agree it is a major detraction from the ascetics of the home. We have a long front yard with the front of the house to the south side facing the street with a very nice green architectural roof, cedar plank siding. Due to a two hip dormers on the south side the solar array layout could not be continuous and that adds to the detraction. I don't know but I think if I were to put the home up for sale as is I would be lucky to sell it for what I could have before installing the panels. Luckily with the long front yard I will be able to strategically plant a couple of trees that will obstruct the view of the roof within years with out shading the array so it will work out ok in time.

Not unhappy that I purchased the system, but I can see where others would decide against it.
              Thankyou, very useful.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or something like that.

I believe you will find that there are many versions of what people perceive of what a solar panel system looks like or should look like. And those versions will be different from one generation to another.

Back in the 50's everyone wanted a white picket fence in their front yard. Now most people think it looks ugly. The same goes for lawn ornaments and house paint color. I think Pink was very popular in Florida for a long while but now forget it.

I wish you luck with your research. Make sure you collect enough data across a lot of demographics or you may end up with a biased opinion.

Comment

Working...