X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skysky
    • Dec 2013

new girl

i am installing a small system to start, i had wind and solar 20 years ago it is very different now, I have a question about mppt /pwm, if someone can guide me to the correct forum area many thanks sky
    living in cold wet but windy england
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

PWM is the old switch on, switch off, charge control. MPPT - continuously adjusts with it's integral DC-DC convertor, the best load on the power source, for the best power to the batteries, in the 95% efficient range, much better than PWM's 70-80%
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• drtimm
      • Dec 2013

you had solar 20 years ago? I imagine the solar panels cost a fortune back then!

Comment

• tufail_74
        • Apr 2012

If you compare the benefits from PWM and MPPT, you will feel that MPPT is a bit costly but it opens door for you.
        It is highly flexible regarding the input and output voltages.

I would prefer you to get MPPT.

Comment

• skysky
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by drtimm
          you had solar 20 years ago? I imagine the solar panels cost a fortune back then!
          I still have the text book "solar electricity" just the book cost £35! LED's are the best now, we had 20watt + lights, or car head lights! back in the 90's in Wales!

Comment

• skysky
            • Dec 2013

I have both

Originally posted by tufail_74
            If you compare the benefits from PWM and MPPT, you will feel that MPPT is a bit costly but it opens door for you.
            It is highly flexible regarding the input and output voltages.

I would prefer you to get MPPT.
            Thank you for replying,I have been given an answer that the two cannot be combined so i am keeping them on two different systems (for now)and plan to upgrade the MPPT to a morningstar 60 when

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by skysky
              Thank you for replying,I have been given an answer that the two cannot be combined so i am keeping them on two different systems (for now)and plan to upgrade the MPPT to a morningstar 60 when
              The two can be combined in terms of charging the same battery bank, but you cannot connect the same array of solar panels to the inputs of a PWM and an MPPT CC at the same time.
              You also generally cannot connect two MPPT CCs to the same set of panels whether they are charging the same battery bank or not.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...