X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SolarSolution
    • Sep 2013

Wishing to make "brown-outs" in The Philippines a thing of the past!

Hello all, I am happy to have found this forum where I can learn more about solar power, possibly make some connections and hopefully help my family and others in pine provinces under constant threat of "brown-outs."

I understand solar-power is not as of yet a cost-effective way to solve this problem, but I hope that with some brainstorming I can get the ball rolling on finding ways to get local provincial governments to upgrade the systems of their municipalities.

I look forward to any input, guidance and help!

Last edited by russ; 09-24-2013, 10:58 PM. Reason: font changed
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Normal size font would be appreciated
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by SolarSolution
      [SIZE=2].... but I hope that with some brainstorming I can get the ball rolling on finding ways to get local provincial governments to upgrade the systems of their municipalities.
      Governments need money to do anything. They get money from taxing people.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SolarSolution
        • Sep 2013

True

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Governments need money to do anything. They get money from taxing people.
        My wife's brother is the mayor of a town out there and we were thinking getting him and anyone with the money to do it on their own homes first then maybe convince the people to upgrade city lights and eventually fund some kind of shelter with pv for the town... What do you think?

Comment

• Sunny Solar
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2012

My wife's brother is the mayor of a town out there and we were thinking getting him and anyone with the money to do it on their own homes first then maybe convince the people to upgrade city lights and eventually fund some kind of shelter with pv for the town... What do you think? As soon as they get the prices of doing it they will drop it like a hot rock.. For a start prices of all solar components are way more expensive than any where else.Finding a reputable installer with any solar install experience will be almost impossible.. Most electricians have never been to college to learn the trade.
          Upgrading community lights with solar is way to expensive for even well off Barangys .
          There are no government incentives to do anything,No install rebate no tax breaks.. Well most people don't need them as they never pay tax so mabe you can consider that a tax break.??
          When the govt officials have thought of a way to scam any assistance for solar installs mabe then things will happen.. but not for people at the bottom of the food chain.
          I know the grid electricity is very expensive compared to most countries and that's even before taking comparative wages into consideration.. BUTit will still cost about 5 times the grid price (about 12p a KWH) to go off grid.. and there are no co ops offering to buy back power produced if you go grid tie.
          Forget it. Drink a litro or three of Red Horse. The electricity bill wont look so bad.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SolarSolution
            My wife's brother is the mayor of a town out there and we were thinking getting him and anyone with the money to do it on their own homes first then maybe convince the people to upgrade city lights and eventually fund some kind of shelter with pv for the town... What do you think?
            You like spending other people's money? Do it with your own first.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SolarSolution
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by russ
              You like spending other people's money? Do it with your own first.
              Yes that's it, I like to spend other people's money. That's all I want to do russ.

Comment

• SolarSolution
                • Sep 2013

Thanks Sunny

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                As soon as they get the prices of doing it they will drop it like a hot rock.. For a start prices of all solar components are way more expensive than any where else.Finding a reputable installer with any solar install experience will be almost impossible.. Most electricians have never been to college to learn the trade.
                Upgrading community lights with solar is way to expensive for even well off Barangys .
                There are no government incentives to do anything,No install rebate no tax breaks.. Well most people don't need them as they never pay tax so mabe you can consider that a tax break.??
                When the govt officials have thought of a way to scam any assistance for solar installs mabe then things will happen.. but not for people at the bottom of the food chain.
                I know the grid electricity is very expensive compared to most countries and that's even before taking comparative wages into consideration.. BUTit will still cost about 5 times the grid price (about 12p a KWH) to go off grid.. and there are no co ops offering to buy back power produced if you go grid tie.
                Forget it. Drink a litro or three of Red Horse. The electricity bill wont look so bad.
                Thanks Sunny, but it's really more about the brown-outs. I was thinking of having the systems imported from China or Korea. Setting them up on our properties first then setting up a showroom at a local hardware store our family owns. As for the installer, I completely understand, I would probably have to fly out there with a buddy of mine who can train an electrician on how to do assessments and installs.

My wife's brother really just wants what's best for the town, their family lives there permanently and is invested in the town moving forward using pv somehow, one step at a time. Maybe we can start with an emergency back up system to help with the brown-outs?

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

John after 5 years I would think you would figure out the QUOTE button.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2012

SUNKING It was supposed to look like it now does.. I hope it has not caused to many people a loss of income or sleep because I simply didn't l look at my post after I sent it.. My humble apologies..

Solar solutions .import duties will add an amount somewhere between 10% to 90% of customs estimate of the cost of the components.. They do no go by any invoice you put with the goods... As they are all dishonest they know that any invoice from another Philippino is as likely fraudulent as they are.

Sunking.. The preferred way of spelling "nuclear waist" is "nuclear waste."

Comment

• SolarSolution
                      • Sep 2013

=(

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                      SUNKING It was supposed to look like it now does.. I hope it has not caused to many people a loss of income or sleep because I simply didn't l look at my post after I sent it.. My humble apologies..

Solar solutions .import duties will add an amount somewhere between 10% to 90% of customs estimate of the cost of the components.. They do no go by any invoice you put with the goods... As they are all dishonest they know that any invoice from another Philippino is as likely fraudulent as they are.

Sunking.. The preferred way of spelling "nuclear waist" is "nuclear waste."
                      Well, I've pretty much realized this idea isn't going to work out, thanks for your input Sunny.

Comment

Working...