X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cnttxmdc
    • Aug 2013

Damn Texans...

So... Just an FYI, you guys have another one of those damn Texans on the board now. Now you can't say you weren't warned!

I'm currently in the process of buying the components to build my grid-tie system. I have several Sharp panels (19 ready to go, 3 that need the wires repaired on them), a Sunny Boy 5000 inverter in the mail, and some pretty good electrical/mechanical aptitude. I will be installing this myself, and building whichever mounting system I decide to go with...

Anybody have any tips or pointers?

Thanks!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cnttxmdc
    So... Just an FYI, you guys have another one of those damn Texans on the board now. Now you can't say you weren't warned!

I'm currently in the process of buying the components to build my grid-tie system. I have several Sharp panels (19 ready to go, 3 that need the wires repaired on them), a Sunny Boy 5000 inverter in the mail, and some pretty good electrical/mechanical aptitude. I will be installing this myself, and building whichever mounting system I decide to go with...

Anybody have any tips or pointers?

Thanks!
    Just check with your local electric utility to see if they have any specific requirements including permits and inspection to connect a solar pv system to the grid.

Unless you are a licensed electrician you will need one to make the final connection between your pv system and the house panel.

Best to find out what is needed now then later when the Utility dis allows the connection.

Comment

• cnttxmdc
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
      Just check with your local electric utility to see if they have any specific requirements including permits and inspection to connect a solar pv system to the grid.

Unless you are a licensed electrician you will need one to make the final connection between your pv system and the house panel.

Best to find out what is needed now then later when the Utility dis allows the connection.

I've already talked to the guy at my electric Co-op about what they require. They don't seems to care what brand inverter is used, or any of the specific details. They will send two guys out to double check everything, do a power & safety check, and swap out the meter. I don't live in the city limits, so there are no permits required where I live (I'm in a rural county, though within an hour of Ft. Worth so it's easy to get supplies, but not a hassle with inspections/permits). I'm not a licensed electrician, but have a strong understand of how things work & the right/wrong way of doing things.

Which reminds me... Where is the best place you guys have found to get PV wire?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

You had better check with that coop what their policy is before you do anything. TX does not have Net Metering Laws. My bet is they will charge you around 11 to 13 cents for what you use from them, and they only pay you 5 to 7 cents for any excess. If that is the case means you will never get a payback.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• cnttxmdc
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
          You had better check with that coop what their policy is before you do anything. TX does not have Net Metering Laws. My bet is they will charge you around 11 to 13 cents for what you use from them, and they only pay you 5 to 7 cents for any excess. If that is the case means you will never get a payback.

Unfortunately, the net metering they do is only over the course of a month, not averaged out over a year like some places seem to do. It's kW per kW, but any excess I produce I'll just loose (they don't give me future credit). I'm trying to plan it so that the system is toward the lower end of our average usage, just to take care of the bulk of my electric bill. It kind sucks, but it's what I have to work with. Even if I produce what I use, there's still a $17.50 monthly fee I have to pay.

In the distant future, we'd consider going with a grid tie w/battery backup system, but it's not worth the added expense with everything else we have going on...

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

You must be an imported Texan!

Unfortunately, the net metering they do is only over the course of a month, not averaged out over a year like some places seem to do. It's kW per kW, but any excess I produce I'll just loose (they don't give me future credit). I'm trying to plan it so that the system is toward the lower end of our average usage, just to take care of the bulk of my electric bill. It kind sucks, but it's what I have to work with. Even if I produce what I use, there's still a $17.50 monthly fee I have to pay.

In the distant future, we'd consider going with a grid tie w/battery backup system, but it's not worth the added expense with everything else we have going on...
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• cnttxmdc
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by russ
              You must be an imported Texan!

Haha! That would be a negative, sir! I live about 100 miles from where I was born, which is even deeper in the "Heart of Texas".

So what other tips do you guys have?
              Any suppliers have well priced PV wire?

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Any suppliers have well priced PV wire?
                Huh? No such thing as PV wire.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Naptown
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2011

What you are looking forin wire is USE-2 wire. Not to be confuse with type USE which is for undertground service entrance.
                  Some folks call it PV wire incorrectly. In pipe you will need THWN2 of THHN 2
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Unfortunately, the net metering they do is only over the course of a month, not averaged out over a year like some places seem to do.
                    You are screwed. It is the summer months where you bank up the credits for winter.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• cnttxmdc
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                      You are screwed. It is the summer months where you bank up the credits for winter.
                      Actually, it's the summer months where we use the most power due to air conditioning. We have two fireplaces, and will probably be getting at least one fireplace insert before this winter.

And thanks Naptown for the wire details. I appreciate it...

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                        What you are looking forin wire is USE-2 wire. Not to be confuse with type USE which is for undertground service entrance.
                        Some folks call it PV wire incorrectly. In pipe you will need THWN2 of THHN 2
                        It sounds like even UL is calling it PV wire (incorrectly?)
                        Belden's data sheet on their "PV" wire lists:
                        Applicable Specifications:
                        UL Type PV (overall) UL 4703
                        USE-2 Rated
                        (14 AWG & Larger 600V)
                        UL Type RHW-2 (90°C wet)
                        (14 AWG & Larger per UL)
                        ROHS Compliant
                        CE
                        Whether the use of the PV wire type is covered by NEC will vary depending on the code cycle the jurisdiction is in (first introduced in NEC 2008), which is one reason that most products are multiple-rated as USE-2 and RHW-2.

One lengthy and propaganda-filled comparison can be found here.
                        Last edited by inetdog; 08-15-2013, 10:40 PM. Reason: Language and add reference link.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• cnttxmdc
                          • Aug 2013

Alright... I knew I wasn't crazy when I was thinking PV wire.

What is everyone's opinion on mounting options? I'll be installing these in the yard next to my house, in an area away from the shade cast by the trees. I'd like to make a tracking mount, but I'm really just looking for ideas and what's worked best for other people. I've searched the forums and found a few ideas, but nothing has really caught my eye so far.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Everything you would ever want to know about wire and cable markings. Search for PV and the only hit is PVC which is poly vinyl chloride.

As for cable types permitted from the Panels to CC can be found here written by a friend of mine John Wiles aka 690 author.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• cnttxmdc
                              • Aug 2013

Those are both very interesting reads. Thanks.

Just to clarify, this is what I was talking about:

Comment

Working...