X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
    I understand what they do. I am certain you do but I am not so sure about the rest of the world.

Usually it is good to have a CO detector if you have a wood burning stove or run a gas generator close to the living quarters.
    Really it is a fire detector - better yet use a products of combustion detector
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
      Really it is a fire detector - better yet use a products of combustion detector
      Good point russ.

Most fire detectors pick up the particles that have not been totally burned but are the result of a burning process.

Comment

• Ian S
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

The typical smoke detector is not going to react to carbon monoxide and since carbon monoxide can be produced without necessarily having smoke present, you really need both types of detectors in any home where there are gas appliances in or near living quarters. Carbon monoxide is an insidious poison since it is colorless and odorless. As you breathe it in, it gets into your bloodstream and binds to the hemoglobin among other things. In doing so, it prevents oxygen transfer from the blood to the tissues and organs. If you're lucky, you'll get a headache and figure out something is wrong. If you're not lucky, you'll become confused, fall unconscious and die. Even if you are rescued alive, severe brain damage can occur.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

And the news from California:
          As of July 1, 2011, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill-
          SB 183) requires all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source
          to install carbon monoxide alarms within the home. Owners of multi-family leased or
          rental dwellings, such as apartment buildings, are required to comply with the law by
          January 1, 2013.

This is enforced whenever the house changes hands, as well as when a building permit is pulled for any purpose.
          But it is required period, and Big Brother may be watching:
          19. How do enforcing agencies gain entry into private single-family residence to
          enforce the requirements?
          California Building Code, Chapter 2 and Health and Safety Code, Section 17920
          provide a definition that states, “…diligent effort to secure compliance, including review
          of plans and permit applications, response to complaints, citation of violations, and other
          legal process. Except as otherwise provided in this part, “enforcement” may, but need
          not, include inspections of existing buildings on which no complaint or permit application
          has been filed, and effort to secure compliance as to these buildings”. As always, it is
          advisable that enforcing agencies consult with their legal counsel regarding the
          enforcement of these provisions on existing single-family residence.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Although not required, I would recommend anyone with gas heating to have a CO detector. I now of two families who wished they had one. One family is still alive because someone came home in time to find everyone unconscious and was able to revive everyone. The other family of 5 were not that lucky and all perished. Both families had the same problem; a leak in the exhaust flew that leaked CO into the house air supply. Today you can get the combo fire/CO for $40 with a 10 year battery. Worth every penny IMHO if you have gas heating.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
              Although not required, I would recommend anyone with gas heating to have a CO detector. I now of two families who wished they had one. One family is still alive because someone came home in time to find everyone unconscious and was able to revive everyone. The other family of 5 were not that lucky and all perished. Both families had the same problem; a leak in the exhaust flew that leaked CO into the house air supply. Today you can get the combo fire/CO for $40 with a 10 year battery. Worth every penny IMHO if you have gas heating.
              I agree. A CO monitor is a good thing to have but as you thought they were not required by any building code. But according to the previous post by inetdog it looks like California passed legislation that requires one in any home that has either a gas appliance or a car parked in an attached garage.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Worth every penny IMHO if you have gas heating.
                Gas heating includes domestic hot water if the heater is in an interior space. (I once bought a house which had been remodeled leaving the gas water heater inside where the garage used to be. Added outside ventilation first thing.)
                Or wood stove(s) (although you might notice an extra smoke odor).

Or even things you should NEVER under any circumstances do, such as running your generator in an attached garage , or setting a Hibachi in your fireplace to cook dinner when the power goes out.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                  Gas heating includes domestic hot water if the heater is in an interior space. (I once bought a house which had been remodeled leaving the gas water heater inside where the garage used to be. Added outside ventilation first thing.)
                  Or wood stove(s) (although you might notice an extra smoke odor).

Or even things you should NEVER under any circumstances do, such as running your generator in an attached garage , or setting a Hibachi in your fireplace to cook dinner when the power goes out.
                  Even a fireplace that was burning wood which burned down can introduce CO back into the home if the air flow up the stack is blocked.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

.......Today you can get the combo fire/CO for $40 with a 10 year battery. Worth every penny IMHO if you have gas heating.
                    HA ! And the joke is, the CO sensor is good for 5 years. My alarms are programmed to go off then, and announce CO Expired, till you blast the gadget with a shotgun!
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...