X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Advertising on SolarPanelTalk

You may have noticed some changes today. We decided to sign up for Google advertising, and you will now be able to see selected advertisements on the site. We're not going to tell you that there is some great benefit to our members, although we hope that the advertised products and services are interesting and informative. We have the ability to disallow certain advertisers. If you see any advertising that you think is not in line with the mission of our Solar Forum, then please let us know and we will consider not allowing that company to advertise on SolarPanelTalk.

We must tell you that we tried to elicit support from sponsors and preferred advertisers, but it appears that they would rather pay Google to do their advertising for them. If you are a representative of a solar equipment manufacturer, there are still opportunities for sponsors and please let us know. You can send a message directly to SolarTown at info (at) solartown (dot) com And if you have any feeedback for us at SolarPanelTalk, please send us a message through the contact us button.

--SolarTown
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

I assume Google tailors the ads to local to the business viewers.
    There is one ad that keeps coming up that is very irritating to me. But I'm probably the only one affected.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Naptown
      I assume Google tailors the ads to local to the business viewers.
      There is one ad that keeps coming up that is very irritating to me. But I'm probably the only one affected.
      Have you seen the one of the Bubble Headed Bleach Blonde with the melon rack? Make me thirsty for a glass of milk.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

I really do not mind the adds, but most of them are heavy in graphics. When my Internet connection is behaving badly (~50% of the time this week) I find that I have to wait for at least one ad to load before I see the thread content. If the ad is one which my browser has not cached yet, that can take up to a minute.

Any chance of a text-only version of the forum for the internet-challenged?
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ppreceipt
          • Jun 2012

Under internet settings
          choose advanced options and
          choose not to have photos loaded.

problem solved.

Originally posted by inetdog
          Any chance of a text-only version of the forum for the internet-challenged?

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by ppreceipt
            Under internet settings
            choose advanced options and
            choose not to have photos loaded.
            problem solved.
            For those Chrome browser users:
            Go to Settings
            Advanced Settings
            Privacy / Content Settings
            Images / Manage Exceptions
            Type in a site for which you do not want to load images, and select block.
            Continue until fully baked.

Only problem with that: It does not stop adds from loading images using Flash, so you will have to disable that too. And that is harder to do on a site-by-site basis.
            Last edited by inetdog; 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM. Reason: clarify
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...