X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Bad Weather in CA

To all of our members and families in Southern CA please be careful and keep you eye on the possible hurricane aiming for you. Stay safe and take care.
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
    To all of our members and families in Southern CA please be careful and keep you eye on the possible hurricane aiming for you. Stay safe and take care.

Don't forget those of us in Baja.
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor2

Don't forget those of us in Baja.
      Sorry. I may lump all of the Baja peninsula into SCA

Comment

• littleharbor2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

I wondered if you would mention that.lol
        Technically, we are "The" Southern California and the original California
        2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Whatever it is called you also need to watch out for that bad weather. Stay safe.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Looks like the wind event will be a lot less than hurricane class - for San Diego anyway. The NWS says it'll be a tropical storm if/when it gets here.
            We'll see.
            After living through 25+ years of Buffalo winters, 20+yrs. of marginally worse winters growing up near Syracuse as well as living through more than a few bad hurricanes in FL and TX, I've got to say that So. CA natives' biggest problems are borne of their lack of exposure to anything less than mostly idyllic weather which leaves them not only unprepared but clueless about what mother nature can do as a matter of course.
            Living in a weather paradise turns people into weather pussies. See it all the time around here. Some funny and some not so funny stories/experiences, most of which are borne of peoples' cluelessness about weather.
            This is a few inches of rain and a few wind gusts of maybe 45 - 50 MPH for frig's sake.

Biggest and most common problem most folks will face around here is battening down the patio furniture.
            Oh, the humanity !

Those (few) in flood risk areas have already been through it all before. They don't need to be spooled up by the media any more. They know who they are and what to do. Problems come from not doing the simple stuff and then looking to blame others or the gov. for what's usually self-inflicted crap.

People around here need to get at a sack, quit catastrophizing over the crap the media feeds them (and they absorb like sponges), think critically, realize what a real emergency is and learn to think critically about what to do if such an event occurs.

This is just a couple of rainy days for cryin' out loud.

SunEagle: You see more rain and wind in an hour of an afternoon FL convection rainstorm than I'm going to see around here in the next week.

Rant mode off.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
              Looks like the wind event will be a lot less than hurricane class - for San Diego anyway. The NWS says it'll be a tropical storm if/when it gets here.
              We'll see.
              After living through 25+ years of Buffalo winters, 20+yrs. of marginally worse winters growing up near Syracuse as well as living through more than a few bad hurricanes in FL and TX, I've got to say that So. CA natives' biggest problems are borne of their lack of exposure to anything less than mostly idyllic weather which leaves them not only unprepared but clueless about what mother nature can do as a matter of course.
              Living in a weather paradise turns people into weather pussies. See it all the time around here. Some funny and some not so funny stories/experiences, most of which are borne of peoples' cluelessness about weather.
              This is a few inches of rain and a few wind gusts of maybe 45 - 50 MPH for frig's sake.

Biggest and most common problem most folks will face around here is battening down the patio furniture.
              Oh, the humanity !

Those (few) in flood risk areas have already been through it all before. They don't need to be spooled up by the media any more. They know who they are and what to do. Problems come from not doing the simple stuff and then looking to blame others or the gov. for what's usually self-inflicted crap.

People around here need to get at a sack, quit catastrophizing over the crap the media feeds them (and they absorb like sponges), think critically, realize what a real emergency is and learn to think critically about what to do if such an event occurs.

This is just a couple of rainy days for cryin' out loud.

SunEagle: You see more rain and wind in an hour of an afternoon FL convection rainstorm than I'm going to see around here in the next week.

Rant mode off.
              I chose to live in sunny or hurricane Florida but I am aware of others and how weather affects them. Stay safe.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

I chose to live in sunny or hurricane Florida but I am aware of others and how weather affects them. Stay safe.
                I'm in LaQuinta just now just finishing buttoning up 2d home but leaving for primary home in north county San Diego within the hour w/ ~ 2+ hr. drive over the mountains to get there.
                ~ 4" rain expected here by Sun. evening/Mon. A.M., maybe 2+" in San Diego according to latest NWS info., all ramping up throughout today.
                Unusual weather for here but it is monsoon season around here and so far a long way from a disaster.
                Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

Will report storm progress from the land of fruits and nuts if/as events develop. Film on the late news. bulletins when they break.
                Thanx for the kind words.

J.P.M.

Comment

Working...