Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunburner
    replied
    I'm not an installer but FWIW, in August, 2017 I had installed a 9.57kw roof mounted system with REC TP290 modules and an SMA SB 7.700 for total cost of $18,999, or ~$1.98/watt. $2,400 of that was labor.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by solarix View Post
    I don't mind telling you that our pricing on residential ,grid-tied, string inverter systems is between $2.50 and $2.75 a watt. We are busy and making a nice margin due to the relatively low overhead and low labor costs in our Arizona semi-rural area. Sure, I would like to charge the $$3.50/watt that I read about here all the time, but we have plenty of competition and I just want to make solar affordable to our clients. With equipment costs around $1.25, we do very well as long as we keep the volume flowing.
    And everyone sells to the market. It's just business.

Leave a comment:

• solarix
    replied
    I don't mind telling you that our pricing on residential ,grid-tied, string inverter systems is between $2.50 and $2.75 a watt. We are busy and making a nice margin due to the relatively low overhead and low labor costs in our Arizona semi-rural area. Sure, I would like to charge the $$3.50/watt that I read about here all the time, but we have plenty of competition and I just want to make solar affordable to our clients. With equipment costs around $1.25, we do very well as long as we keep the volume flowing.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by ncs55 View Post

That is a loaded question and wholly depends on the equipment used, system size, single story, two story, main service upgrade, type and condition of the roof, conduit runs inside or out, vent movement, dormer removal and or replace with a flush mount vent, etc. Every home is different and every homeowner has their own view of aesthetics which can affect the price. For us, and say a 5-6k system on a single story with a comp roof it would be in the neighborhood of $3.80 -$4.00 per watt. Tile roof with double flashings in the same scenario start at $4.20 per watt. So depending on many factors, as low as $3.60 up to $4.50 per watt. This is including design, permitting, interconnect paperwork and using industry standard proven quality inverters, modules, racking, roof combiners with disconnects, monitoring, etc. Ten year roof penetration warranty. Five year labor warranty including a once a year cleaning and system checkup under the labor warranty. However consider defects or acts of god. And If in worst case say, the modules are defective and or something happens like a lightning strike, we will perform all warranty process, readings manufacturer contact, paperwork etc. at no charge and discount the uninstall and reinstall of the new modules. Say something like a lightning strike occurs and wipes out the whole array, we will sell the new equipment at cost and discount the R&R. Inverter replacement under warranty is usually no charge unless it is due to the fault of the customer performing their own work that causes this failure.
    Which seems like a pretty reasonable response to an idea in that it points out the futility and confusion that can come about from trying make everything a one line answer. Too much detail may not be necessary, but not everything can be explained in 25 words or less. To imply so may only lead to more confusion and missing important details which will, in the end, will only hurt consumers, or at best won't help getting the most bang for the buck.

Things like the CSI data base are/were about as good as possible in such situations, and that database said nothing about system or vendor quality with respect to installation or aesthetics. It was probably good for a first pass through what's available price/vendor/material wise.

I don't have an answer or anything that's better than what Solar Pete is looking for or suggesting, but oversimplifying isn't something I'd endorse.

Leave a comment:

• ncs55
    replied
    Originally posted by solar pete View Post
    Hi All,

We want to do an article that delves into the current cost of grid tied solar installs and some indications of current pricing. If anyone would like to chime in with what there average cost per watt installed is at the moment that would be awesome. I understand you may not want to make it public and if so feel free to contact me through the contact us button at the bottom of the page or email me at pete@solarreviews.com cheers.
    That is a loaded question and wholly depends on the equipment used, system size, single story, two story, main service upgrade, type and condition of the roof, conduit runs inside or out, vent movement, dormer removal and or replace with a flush mount vent, etc. Every home is different and every homeowner has their own view of aesthetics which can affect the price. For us, and say a 5-6k system on a single story with a comp roof it would be in the neighborhood of $3.80 -$4.00 per watt. Tile roof with double flashings in the same scenario start at $4.20 per watt. So depending on many factors, as low as $3.60 up to $4.50 per watt. This is including design, permitting, interconnect paperwork and using industry standard proven quality inverters, modules, racking, roof combiners with disconnects, monitoring, etc. Ten year roof penetration warranty. Five year labor warranty including a once a year cleaning and system checkup under the labor warranty. However consider defects or acts of god. And If in worst case say, the modules are defective and or something happens like a lightning strike, we will perform all warranty process, readings manufacturer contact, paperwork etc. at no charge and discount the uninstall and reinstall of the new modules. Say something like a lightning strike occurs and wipes out the whole array, we will sell the new equipment at cost and discount the R&R. Inverter replacement under warranty is usually no charge unless it is due to the fault of the customer performing their own work that causes this failure.
    Last edited by ncs55; 05-14-2016, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• solar pete
    started a topic Resident Solar Installers input sought

Resident Solar Installers input sought

Hi All,

We want to do an article that delves into the current cost of grid tied solar installs and some indications of current pricing. If anyone would like to chime in with what there average cost per watt installed is at the moment that would be awesome. I understand you may not want to make it public and if so feel free to contact me through the contact us button at the bottom of the page or email me at pete@solarreviews.com cheers.
Working...
X