Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article from SolarReviews regarding storage

Hi All,

I found this article from Chris (solarreviews.com roving reporter) about investment in energy storage interesting so I thought I would post it for ya all. Cheers

http://www.solarreviews.com/news/ene...torage_012016/

I read about the DOE giving that 18 mill in another publication. Looks like they spread it across about 6 to 7 different organizations to perform their own research in energy storage. The DOE is getting serious on pushing the technology. Maybe a breakthrough will come sooner than later.

Comment

And part of that is to make everything "smart". I'll take an Orwellian leap - say in 2020 when you want to use your smart-toaster and this pops up:

Code:
      This device has exceeded your KUA Kitchen Usage Allotment,
      and has been reported to the National Toasting Council.

To restore this device to normal service, please call
      or logon to the Kitchen Police website and have
      your KUA identification number handy.
      Well, ok, but I think a large part of being smart is NOT for efficiency, but for targeted marketing - selling your device's usage data to 3rd parties.

Laugh now, but we'll see who has the last tinfoil hat!
      Last edited by PNjunction; 01-21-2016, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
        And part of that is to make everything "smart". I'll take an Orwellian leap - say in 2020 when you want to use your smart-toaster and this pops up:

Code:

To restore this device to normal service, please call
        or logon to the Kitchen Police website and have
        your KUA identification number handy.
        Well, ok, but I think a large part of being smart is NOT for efficiency, but for targeted marketing - selling your device's usage data to 3rd parties.

Laugh now, but we'll see who has the last tinfoil hat!
        You forgot to mention what the penalty fee is for the infraction.

Comment

targeted marketing.

ไฮโลออนไลน์

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post

Code:
            Reminds me of a recurring theme in Jasper Fforde's books: http://www.jasperfforde.com/thursdaynext/toast.html

Comment

When the heat stops working in the middle of winter, just unplug your house and let it cool down completely, then reboot.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

One of my recurring fears: all our HVAC and appliances will become smart, will refuse to work when not connected to the internet, and our heat will stop working after a natural disaster that interrupts internet service (or some hacking group decides to punish us for not paying blackmail).

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post

One of my recurring fears: all our HVAC and appliances will become smart, will refuse to work when not connected to the internet, and our heat will stop working after a natural disaster that interrupts internet service (or some hacking group decides to punish us for not paying blackmail).
                  Now that scares me too because I believe someday it will be possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X