No announcement yet.

Interesting article from Chris at SolarReviews.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO as a Realtor and a Solar user I agree that homes with Solar are much more desirable on the resale market. As far as setting a standard for value increase on "Solar homes" this is very complicated as the term "Solar Home" means many different thing to different people. For instance a home with a leased solar system can actually diminish the value of a home if the new buyer is looking to purchase with a Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae loan as these loans can not be placed on a home if there is an underlying long term solar lease in place and requires the lessor to remove the lien and then place it back on the home after closing.....most cases this is not an issue but in some cases the leaseholder takes this advantage to rewrite the lease at possibly not as desirable terms.

Owned solar systems will add varying degrees of value based on the age and utility of the system but a newer solar system (especially in CA) will add value and likely even more value in the years to come as the Net Metering agreements currently in place are there for 20 years from the install date are are tied to the location (house) and NOT to the person so it will transfer with the property to the new owner with the remaining term of the original agreement.............and as we are all thinking this will be much better than the Net Metering agreements with the "2.0" versions that will be starting next year.

Comment

Originally posted by paul65k View Post
      SO as a Realtor and a Solar user I agree that homes with Solar are much more desirable on the resale market. As far as setting a standard for value increase on "Solar homes" this is very complicated as the term "Solar Home" means many different thing to different people. For instance a home with a leased solar system can actually diminish the value of a home if the new buyer is looking to purchase with a Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae loan as these loans can not be placed on a home if there is an underlying long term solar lease in place and requires the lessor to remove the lien and then place it back on the home after closing.....most cases this is not an issue but in some cases the leaseholder takes this advantage to rewrite the lease at possibly not as desirable terms.

Owned solar systems will add varying degrees of value based on the age and utility of the system but a newer solar system (especially in CA) will add value and likely even more value in the years to come as the Net Metering agreements currently in place are there for 20 years from the install date are are tied to the location (house) and NOT to the person so it will transfer with the property to the new owner with the remaining term of the original agreement.............and as we are all thinking this will be much better than the Net Metering agreements with the "@.0" versions that will be starting next year.
      Thanx for getting the discussion (or me anyway) back on topic. Most folks considering a lease, and I'd bet more than a few current lessors are not aware of the requirements of the Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae road bumps.

Depending on how NEM 2.0, etc. on up goes, to the degree that the new tariff agreements are not as good as the old, I'd guess the degree of diff. old/new tariff would have an impact on solar/non solar equipped home pricing.

I wonder if that could create two solar house price tiers in CA: One for houses with grandparented PV systems, and one for non grandparented PV systems. I bet we'll find out.

Comment

Owned solar systems will add varying degrees of value based on the age and utility of the system but a newer solar system (especially in CA) will add value and likely even more value in the years to come as the Net Metering agreements currently in place are there for 20 years from the install date are are tied to the location (house) and NOT to the person so it will transfer with the property to the new owner with the remaining term of the original agreement.............and as we are all thinking this will be much better than the Net Metering agreements with the "2.0" versions that will be starting next year.
        Paul - are you sure current NEM is tied to the service address and will transfer when sold? I recall the contract references my 10 digit bill number. When I move, the new owner will establish a new account and you are sure the deal will continue for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Willaby View Post
          Paul - are you sure current NEM is tied to the service address and will transfer when sold? I recall the contract references my 10 digit bill number. When I move, the new owner will establish a new account and you are sure the deal will continue for them?
          A current and continuing grandparented NEM agreement runs with the system, regardless of the owner, unless the system is taken out of service and becomes derelict, or the owner chooses to not participate in a NEM for whatever reason ( e.g., self generation w/storage and off grid if that should become a viable option in the future), at least as far as stuff published by SDG & E and the CPUC is to be believed for those who take the time and make the effort to read.

The NEM agreement runs with the address only to the extent that the address is that of the NEM authorized system.

Comment

Originally posted by Willaby View Post
            Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            A current and continuing grandparented NEM agreement runs with the system, regardless of the owner, unless the system is taken out of service and becomes derelict, or the owner chooses to not participate in a NEM for whatever reason ( e.g., self generation w/storage and off grid if that should become a viable option in the future), at least as far as stuff published by SDG & E and the CPUC is to be believed for those who take the time and make the effort to read.

The NEM agreement runs with the address only to the extent that the address is that of the NEM authorized system.
            I did read through the entire NEM agreement when I first applied and this was how I remembered it.....Thanks J.P.M............now I don't have to re-read the agreement

Comment

I did read through the entire NEM agreement when I first applied and this was how I remembered it.....Thanks J.P.M............now I don't have to re-read the agreement
              You're welcome.

You like our document service, tell your friends.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
              X