No announcement yet.

Would you buy if offered Battery Bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy if offered Battery Bank?

How many of us would buy/finance battery banks? No matter what costs they are? I mean it has to be a reasonable price. For us little consumers I am willing to pay up to $100 / month for a battery bank. For the bigger consumers I would say $200 / month. What are your comments on this?

Would you pay a little more for electricity to be completely self powered / or own supplier?

My monthly payment before was $40 to $150 /mo now it is $60 to $170 but I am solar. If I had the option to buy a battery bank I would be willing to pay another $100 / month to completely tell Edison no more! With solar I know my monthly bill will not go up for at least 30 years.

With local electric companies they charge taxes, connection fees, emergency service fees, and so forth. I just heard they are trying to increase minimum wage... guess what... do you think those fees will stay the same? Over the past century electric costs doubled if not tripled in some places.

As minimum wage increases; living expenses will surely increase shortly after.

With solar and a 30 year contract you are guaranteed a set price for up to 30 years. If you paid it off sooner you would save even more by being your own supplier!

Adding a battery bank you would be able to consume the energy you produced during the day minimizing or even eliminating the local electric consumption costs.

A battery bank will give you the ability to become more self reliant and independent.

Concerns:
    C: Batteries will need replacing within 3 years!
    IMO: Technology has come along ways since then and now batteries last up to 5 years and then some. With the MPPT charging system it might even push them to 15 years if properly balanced at time of build. I even believe battery banks if sized properly will last up to 20 years!

C: Battery banks cost too much!
    IMO: Small demand for battery banks a larger cost to build them. The more demand; the less they will cost.

C: What size battery bank would I need?
    IMO: the bigger the better! The more batteries you have the less stress you put on each battery extending their life expectancy.

C: Who pays for the replacement battery bank when mine goes bad after warranty?
    IMO: This question can be answered by Honda in accordance with their Civic Hybrid. We the consumers will pay and maybe if we are willing to vote it in maybe the government might provide incentives to assist in replacement costs. They do for Solar Arrays why not the battery banks too? You can either buy/finance the new battery bank.

With all this said, I am willing to go that extra mile and buy/finance a battery bank coupled with my solar array system.

Just think! We buy vehicles with 5 year warranties and they cost more than most solar array systems including the battery banks! After the warranty what do most of us do? We buy a new one or repair our old vehicle! What makes batteries different?

Vehicles are as dangerous as batteries if handled improperly!

Are you?
    Last edited by einsvanian; 07-07-2016, 04:39 PM. Reason: added more pros and cons

Good net metering deals make batteries not worth it, so expect to see batteries get more popular as net metering caps are reached. Hawaii's a good place to watch.
    Even the power company there is exploring the use of residential batteries to allow more solar onto their grid.

Comment

• einsvanian
      einsvanian commented
      Editing a comment
      This is great information for my case, thank you.

Originally posted by einsvanian View Post
    How many of us would buy/finance battery banks? No matter what costs they are? I mean it has to be a reasonable price. For us little consumers I am willing to pay up to $100 / month for a battery bank. For the bigger consumers I would say $200 / month. What are your comments on this?

Would you pay a little more for electricity to be completely self powered / or own supplier?

My monthly payment before was $40 to $150 /mo now it is $60 to $170 but I am solar. If I had the option to buy a battery bank I would be willing to pay another $100 / month to completely tell Edison no more! With solar I know my monthly bill will not go up for at least 30 years.

With local electric companies they charge taxes, connection fees, emergency service fees, and so forth. I just heard they are trying to increase minimum wage... guess what... do you think those fees will stay the same? Over the past century electric costs doubled if not tripled in some places.

As minimum wage increases; living expenses will surely increase shortly after.

With solar and a 30 year contract you are guaranteed a set price for up to 30 years. If you paid it off sooner you would save even more by being your own supplier!

Adding a battery bank you would be able to consume the energy you produced during the day minimizing or even eliminating the local electric consumption costs.

A battery bank will give you the ability to become more self reliant and independent.

Concerns:
    C: Batteries will need replacing within 3 years!
    IMO: Technology has come along ways since then and now batteries last up to 5 years and then some. With the MPPT charging system it might even push them to 15 years if properly balanced at time of build. I even believe battery banks if sized properly will last up to 20 years!

C: Battery banks cost too much!
    IMO: Small demand for battery banks a larger cost to build them. The more demand; the less they will cost.

C: What size battery bank would I need?
    IMO: the bigger the better! The more batteries you have the less stress you put on each battery extending their life expectancy.

C: Who pays for the replacement battery bank when mine goes bad after warranty?
    IMO: This question can be answered by Honda in accordance with their Civic Hybrid. We the consumers will pay and maybe if we are willing to vote it in maybe the government might provide incentives to assist in replacement costs. They do for Solar Arrays why not the battery banks too? You can either buy/finance the new battery bank.

With all this said, I am willing to go that extra mile and buy/finance a battery bank coupled with my solar array system.

Just think! We buy vehicles with 5 year warranties and they cost more than most solar array systems including the battery banks! After the warranty what do most of us do? We buy a new one or repair our old vehicle! What makes batteries different?

Vehicles are as dangerous as batteries if handled improperly!

Are you?
    Without serious numbers the discussion is strictly academic. I need a battery that is free, 100% efficient, 14,000 KWH stored for
    half a year, and maintenance free. That is what my grid tie does; how close can you come to those numbers? Bruce Roe

Comment

duplicate thread?

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
        duplicate thread?
        Yes it is.

Comment

Working...
        X