No announcement yet.

Honest Question about SolarCity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, show us pictures. Microinverters? 100% works when the weather cooperates. Why
    do you need a power wall? Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by KenK-AZ View Post
      I just had my 6.8KW PV system installed last Friday by Solar City/Tesla. Total cost to me was $23K, financed through Mosaic for 10 years @ 2.99%. This is for 21 325W Panasonic panels. The install went flawlessly. They arrived just after 8 AM and were out by 11AM. After rebates, tax credits, and cash back, this should cost me around $15K.

As for others commenting about shifty sales people, this was not my experience. My sales rep got my last electric bill and designed a plan around that use and factoring in my new EV, which was not represented in my billing history. We came up with 7.8KW, but the electric company went by the history and approved 6.8KW. Since I was getting a Power Wall, I figured that would be fine, and approved the 6.8KW design plan. At no point did the rep try to fill my roof with panels. To the contrary, he said we should aim for 100% of my projected use and no more. They also quickly put in my paperwork to make sure I got in under the existing net metering rules before they changed to the less customer friendly version. I am very happy with how they have taken care of me so far.

Disclaimer: I drink Tesla Kool-Aid. I have a Model S 75D and the tax credit from it will pay for my Power Wall (arriving March 2nd)
      My condolences.

Comment

I would have sold you a 6.8kW grid-tied system for about $15,300 (assuming a typical roof). I don't work in Phoenix but am familiar with the pricing their. You way overpaid for your system. (think about - a half day of work?) I too love to have customers that happily over pay for for drinking kool-aid.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

You guys are a riot.

Solarix, what price would you put on materials for my PV system and which panels would you use?

Comment

Solar equipment wholesales for about a $1/watt currently (panels, inverter and BalanceOfSysytem) SMA SunnyBoy, Q-Cell or Canadian Solar. You can get "high efficiency" panels which cost a lot more, but they are no more durable or long lasting and as long as you have enough roof space for standard efficiency panels - you are wasting your money.

Comment

This is the only pic I have at the moment. I'll get some of the inverter and conduit if I remember. I'll see about getting specs on the other components.

I am not in Phoenix. I am in Sierra Vista, about 4 hours to the south. Weather here is usually pretty favorable for solar, with exceptions in July, August, September for monsoons. The roof faces south and only has two vents to worry about. 4500ft elevation.

The Power Wall just seemed like a good idea since most of my use will be at night and I want to see how little I can touch the grid. It's all an experiment. Feel free to point out my mistakes and I will pass the info along to anyone who asks me about my system. I'm not at all surprised I didnt get the best deal because as I stated, I wasnt really shopping. My bad. I can live with it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                Solar equipment wholesales for about a $1/watt currently (panels, inverter and BalanceOfSysytem) SMA SunnyBoy, Q-Cell or Canadian Solar. You can get "high efficiency" panels which cost a lot more, but they are no more durable or long lasting and as long as you have enough roof space for standard efficiency panels - you are wasting your money.
                So strictly for materials, this could have cost as little as $6800 wholesale?

Comment

I am waiting on a materials list, but based on the reported brand and wattage, I "assume" the panels are:

Panasonic VBHN325SA16 HIT N325 Monocrystalline 325 Watt Solar Panels

and looking at my inverter label, it appears to be a:

Delta Solivia 6600TL

So how crap are those, what should I have paid for them, and what comparable equipment would you replace them with. The goal is still 6.8kW.

Comment

Panasonic are some of the most expensive panels there are and Delta is a cheap Chinese inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by KenK-AZ View Post

So strictly for materials, this could have cost as little as $6800 wholesale?
                      Three comments:

1.) It 's not about low initial price. It's about a safe, fit for purpose system, professionally designed and installed, that provides the most long term bang for the buck. Seems that you may have the worst of both high price and low quality, at least in terms of vendor choice.

2.) Having seen more SolarCity installs up close and personal than most other folks and having dealt with SolarCity on site and phone/e-mail with office personnel has led me to the unfortunate opinion they are pretty much universally inadequate to the purpose of installing residential PV systems in terms of adequate quality, professional installation and particularly inadequate in the areas of product knowledge, and dealing honestly and professionally with their customers. I wouldn't let them on my property.

3.) For someone who wasn't really shopping and not surprised that you didn't get what you call the best deal - and IMO, you sure didn't, all the way around - you seem quite concerned about prices.

You life/choices/$$, but again, my condolences.

Comment

Working...
                      X