• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petrosmorgan
    • Nov 2012

Converting 1/2 Hp Well Pump to Solar DC

Hello,

I live in East Texas.

I have a Shur-Dri 1/2 HP Jet Tank Sysytem (above ground) with a 7-gallon pressure tank. No holding tank.

It has 115v or 240v option. I am using 115v.

Water line is approx. 25ft below ground. I am pumping 250ft in 1" pipe to our home.

I want to do away with the line and power pole and covert to a off grid solar power with batteries.
    I have done some research but want to understand if my estimates are correct for what i need.

1/2 HP = 9.8 amp . Would need 170 watt panel , 200 watt inverter , 30amp charge controller and 100 Ah AGM battery.

Please, feel free to correct my estimates and give helpful advice.
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by petrosmorgan
    Hello...1/2 HP = 9.8 amp . Would need 170 watt panel , 200 watt inverter , 30amp charge controller and 100 Ah AGM battery. ...
    You need to look at the startup surge of the pump. No way will a 200W inverter and 100AH battery handle that.

I put what you're trying to do in the same catagory as trying to convert a gasoline engine over to diesel fuel. It can be done but isn't worth it when buying a diesel to begin with would be cheaper, last longer, and be more dependable.

Buy a pump designed to work with solar. The price of the pump may shock you but in the long run it will be cheaper, last longer, and be more dependable.

Comment

• astrobhadauria
      • Dec 2012

Solar Pump

Buy a pump designed to work with solar. The price of the pump may shock you but in the long run it will be cheaper, last longer, and be more dependable.

Sir
      I have 75 Watts 12 Volts, 18 numbers solar Panels, 4 numbers Batteries 12V 150 Amph,24 Volts 30 Amps Charge controller.I am living in Inida Jaipur,and mounted system on my roof for using electricity for home. In my area water depth is 200 meters, and I want to install a solar powered DC pump.Kindly advise me from where I purchase pump and what average cost in India ? I am eagerly waiting of your kind suggestion.
      Thank you.

Comment

Working...