Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ailnyckyj
    • May 2012

Question on solar water pumps

I read the question and answers to the portable generator and since I am new to this type of technical information which does not answer my original question. How many panels would it take to run a 1 1/2 hp motor which is used for pumping water? Then I would need to know what else do I need to make it work
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ailnyckyj
    I read the question and answers to the portable generator and since I am new to this type of technical information which does not answer my original question. How many panels would it take to run a 1 1/2 hp motor which is used for pumping water? Then I would need to know what else do I need to make it work
    How long each day will the pump run, and what location?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by ailnyckyj
      As Sunking says, we need to know how many hours a day it needs to run, and your city, to calculate the sun hours there.

Do you need the pump in winter too, or only summer.

A 1.5 hp pump will likely need 3,000 watts to run, and almost 10,000w to start up. That will require 2 inverters (expensive inverters)

How about another approach, how much water do you need a day, and how high do you have to pump it ? and what pressure. Maybe you don't need the 1.5 hp pump, and can use a smaller one, I use a .5 hp pump, running 4-6 hours a day, to pump to elevated tanks to give me 60 psi of pressure 24/7
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by zephyrpeling
        ... it provides comparable energy output to a small gas generator of the same wattage...
        It would have to do that by the definition of wattage!
        But the generator of a particular wattage will run for a really long time at that load if you keep refueling it, while the run time on the internal battery of your system, even supplemented by the panel during sun hours, would be pretty low.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ailnyckyj
          • May 2012

1 1/2 hp pump

Originally posted by Sunking
          How long each day will the pump run, and what location?
          Sunking, thank you for replying to my question. The location is in Santa Rosa County, Florida. I don't think that we will run more then a few hours per day and that's when we are there. I did find out that it takes max: of 11.5 amps to run and it takes 51.4 amps to starting surge. I hope this information will be helpful. thank you, alexander ilnyckyj

Comment

• ailnyckyj
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
            As Sunking says, we need to know how many hours a day it needs to run, and your city, to calculate the sun hours there.

Do you need the pump in winter too, or only summer.

A 1.5 hp pump will likely need 3,000 watts to run, and almost 10,000w to start up. That will require 2 inverters (expensive inverters)

How about another approach, how much water do you need a day, and how high do you have to pump it ? and what pressure. Maybe you don't need the 1.5 hp pump, and can use a smaller one, I use a .5 hp pump, running 4-6 hours a day, to pump to elevated tanks to give me 60 psi of pressure 24/7
            This location is in Northern Florida, and the city is East Milton. The well is 4" and it's 160 feet deepand I think it has close to 90psi.

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Most residential wells run in the 30-40PSI range
              Your well is 190' deep but how much water is standing in the well. Say the level is at 30' below the well cap and replenishes at 5 gpm. Well you could draw 5gpm without the well dropping level at all. which means that instead of pumping 190' to the surface you are only pumping 30'. Big difference.
              If this is for a house if an overhead tank is possible that's great. But for most instances a solar pump to bringg the water up from the well and another pressure pump to pressurize the system works better.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• ailnyckyj
                • May 2012

quote 1 1/2 hp motor

Originally posted by Naptown
                Most residential wells run in the 30-40PSI range
                Your well is 190' deep but how much water is standing in the well. Say the level is at 30' below the well cap and replenishes at 5 gpm. Well you could draw 5gpm without the well dropping level at all. which means that instead of pumping 190' to the surface you are only pumping 30'. Big difference.
                If this is for a house if an overhead tank is possible that's great. But for most instances a solar pump to bringg the water up from the well and another pressure pump to pressurize the system works better.
                ( quote= ailnyckyj) The well is already in. The depth is 160 feet and it pumps about 28 gls. per minute I have a 120 gal. tank and what I need to know is how many panels would it that and what other equipment would I need to make this work for me. The motor draws 11.5 ams running and 54.5 amps to strart. The water level is at 75 feet. So can anyone tell me what I need to make it work. I only use this pump maybe 2 or 3 hrs. per day and that's when I am at the property. The location is in E. Milton, Fla. Thank you. . Alexander ilnyckyj
                Last edited by Naptown; 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM. Reason: Removed e mail to prevent spamers use PM feature o forum

Comment

Working...