Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to shift Agriculture Water Pump to Solar Power

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to shift Agriculture Water Pump to Solar Power

    I have a tube well installed on my land delivering approx 1.25 Cusec (101.94 cubic meters per hour). The water depth is 80 ft' and is lifted through KSB turbine that is driven by 25HP 3Phase motor. The diameter of delivery pipe is 6 Inches. The water is used to irrigate the crops spread over approx 50 acres.

    From last few years, energy shortfall is growing and one of the biggest issues in our country. So finally we decided to go for alternate solution. I have made extensive research from local market, domain experts and obviously internet, my initial finding are

    (1) Replace that motor with a 25HP DC motor and then connect it with a PV array

    (2) Use solar panel array with a heavy inverter that may support and run the existing motor efficiently.

    (3) Use 3 Phase submersible AC motor along with a heavy inverter and array of solar panel

    (4) Buy off the shelf Solar Water Pump (Like Lorrentz) and install it.

    (5) Is there any other option? Please advice.

    I am unable to decide which solution will be suitable for me. The solution should be cost effective and long-lasting.

    While working on point-1, I found 25 HP used DC motor from market. According to supplier, the motor takes 400V for Field and 310V for armature. Apart from this he does not know anything and unable to help me . I need to know what additional hardware and how many solar panels I need to run that motor. In which combination the solar panels will be installed and of what capacity.

    As far as 2nd option is considered, a gentleman doing a solar PV business in our area advised me 35KW Inverter (DC to AC) and 40KW of solar panel. To support his solution he gave the reason of this over sized setup as the conversion losses of inverter and starting toque of motor.
    Please advise which one of above is more suitable for me and why.

    Option 3 and 4 is not viable for me so far because it will need another bore.

  • #2
    Originally posted by JamilAkbar View Post
    I have a tube well installed on my land delivering approx 1.25 Cusec (101.94 cubic meters per hour). The water depth is 80 ft' and is lifted through KSB turbine that is driven by 25HP 3Phase motor. The diameter of delivery pipe is 6 Inches. The water is used to irrigate the crops spread over approx 50 acres.
    As far as 2nd option is considered, a gentleman doing a solar PV business in our area advised me 35KW Inverter (DC to AC) and 40KW of solar panel. To support his solution he gave the reason of this over sized setup as the conversion losses of inverter and starting toque of motor.
    I'd say DC direct is going to be your best bet. You will need a custom controller to match the VI curve of the panels to the motor and enable starting at low light levels; it will likely be expensive at those voltage/power ratings. 40kW is probably about right, so you'd be looking at around $80,000 worth of panels with mounting structure.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by billvon View Post
      I'd say DC direct is going to be your best bet. You will need a custom controller to match the VI curve of the panels to the motor and enable starting at low light levels; it will likely be expensive at those voltage/power ratings. 40kW is probably about right, so you'd be looking at around $80,000 worth of panels with mounting structure.
      Thanks Billvon, can you please help me on the brand/model and price for DC Direct motor? will it be single phase? i wish to learn more about it..
      Last edited by JamilAkbar; 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM. Reason: missing word

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JamilAkbar View Post
        Thanks Billvon, can you please help me on the brand/model and price for DC Direct motor? will it be single phase?
        Are you kidding me. You are asking if a DC motor is Single or Poly Phased?
        MSEE, PE

        Comment


        • #5
          Does this pump run only during the irrigation hours?
          Is it possible to utilize an overhead storage scheme to spread out the pump time a bit?
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

          [URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

          [URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

          [URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JamilAkbar View Post
            Thanks Billvon, can you please help me on the brand/model and price for DC Direct motor?
            A Baldor D5020P might work for you. 20hp, 300 volt DC brushed motor. They run between $5000 and $10,000 US. Again the controller will have to be custom, as will the adapter shaft and the mounting plate.

            will it be single phase? i wish to learn more about it..
            Uh . . . you might talk to an engineer and have him explain basic DC machines. That's not something you can cover in a post on the web. There is a lot to spec'ing, driving and operating DC motors. (There is no such thing as "phase" with DC motors.)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by billvon View Post
              Uh . . . you might talk to an engineer and have him explain basic DC machines. That's not something you can cover in a post on the web. There is a lot to spec'ing, driving and operating DC motors. (There is no such thing as "phase" with DC motors.)
              Guys i suggest you quit trying to help this guy. He does not know the difference between AC and DC.
              MSEE, PE

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Guys i suggest you quit trying to help this guy. He does not know the difference between AC and DC.
                Dear Sunking, thanks for your feedback, you are right i am not familier with DC motors construction and working. If you could re-read my actual post, i mentioned that a local supplier offered me a DC motor which will run by taking 400V in Field and 310V in armature in addition he told me that it is 2 phase motor. for refernce pictures of that motor attached. Please give your suggestion concerning the subject of post. Thanks in advance
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Naptown View Post
                  Does this pump run only during the irrigation hours?
                  Is it possible to utilize an overhead storage scheme to spread out the pump time a bit?
                  Thanks for reply. For solar based solution, sunlight hour would be sufficient with mentioned flow rate. I think no need to have a staorage in battery bank or overhead tank.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    Guys i suggest you quit trying to help this guy. He does not know the difference between AC and DC.
                    Great support Mr. SUNKING

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JamilAkbar View Post
                      Great support Mr. SUNKING
                      You need to understand that some of the things discussed here can be dangerous to a Do It Yourselfer. There is a fine line between helping someone and giving someone that is not qualified enough information to hurt themself. Sunking is very knowledgeble, VERY knowledgeble, he just doesn't have a very good bedside manner. That comes from helping the shear number of noobs that stop by this forum. Don't take it personally, there are plenty of people here willing to help.

                      Green

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JamilAkbar View Post
                        Great support Mr. SUNKING
                        Sorry but my statement is true. You do not even know the difference between AC and DC. The power level you are talking about is commercial and industrial size. You have no business even trying this yourself. In the USA it would take preofessional engineers and experienced electricians to pull this off.

                        So nor Sir I will not help you to kill yourself. You can do that all by yourself. I will not be responsible. I would also suggest the moderators pull the plug on this thread so they cannot be held responsible for any information you might receive here...

                        Here is what happens to people like you playing with electricity. It is not a pretty site.



                        MSEE, PE

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thread closed

                          The last word will belong to Sunking on this thread. The subject has been exhausted and the thread is now closed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Promotion of unsafe or illegal actions or equipment will cause the thread to be closed.

                            Safety rules can often be broken repeatedly before someone is killed - just because you have gotten away with an action does not mean that action is safe.

                            Code and laws are there to be followed every time.

                            Russ
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X