Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SidK
    • May 2012

Panel to DC pump

I have a 140 Watt solar panel with 17 V output at full sun. I want to connect this panel directly to a 12 Volt pump, while panel output voltage is within 12 - 17 volts range. Do I need a regulator? Where can I buy such a regulator?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

you will need a Linear Current Booster . Dankoff makes several models, it should be matched to your pump.

It has a large capacitor and some other circuitry inside, to prevent the motor from stalling and burning out at low solar power levels.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

It may or may not work. What is the power requirement of the pump? If it requires more than the panel can deliver at any point in time it will not work. Panel has to be rated larger than the motor.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
        It may or may not work. What is the power requirement of the pump? If it requires more than the panel can deliver at any point in time it will not work. Panel has to be rated larger than the motor.
        Or else there has to be a smallish battery in the circuit just for starting loads (a capacitor may not be practical.) However that will not work without some charging and discharging controls to protect the battery.
        Even though you will have a low voltage cutout to protect the pump motor when the solar output reduces while the pump is running, that will not by itself keep the pump from trying to start when the panel output is below what is needed for starting because of clouds, temperature, etc. Just a high panel rating does not guarantee that you will always have that output available when needed.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...