Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aquaponics pump

hello all i need some help.. i'm looking at building an aquaponics system

( see this link i'f you like to know more.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYFM7J_TpTU )

but i would raver not use a powered pump was wording if any one new where i could buy a kit of some kind with pump pannle batries... i live in australia. if it's any help the pump needs to pump about 3000 l/h... and pritty much needs to run all day every day
    any help apristrated

A solar panel, will only produce useable power for a couple hours before and after Full Noon. Dawn till 9am, and 3pm - sunset, will have very little power to run a pump with.

You may need a more extensive system to run a pump 12 hours a day. Any need for a couple shots of water at night ? How will night time oxygen get to the system ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Starting in to aquaponics I would suggest sticking with grid power - there is already too much to learn.

You can always change the power supply later if you choose. This is a relatively expensive proposition as I found out.

An air pump has to run along with the water pump. Not all schemes require 24 hour operation.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        Starting in to aquaponics I would suggest sticking with grid power - there is already too much to learn.

You can always change the power supply later if you choose. This is a relatively expensive proposition as I found out.

An air pump has to run along with the water pump. Not all schemes require 24 hour operation.
        Whats the air pump for???

In My previous AP systems, I never used an air pump. Just curious. As I build out my personal solar, switching to Solar power pumps is on that horizon.

For my AP system I used 1 pump with a float valve as to minimize the power usage impact. Only took my electric bill (at the time) up $10/month
        Off-Grid in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by giles117 View Post
          Whats the air pump for???

In My previous AP systems, I never used an air pump. Just curious. As I build out my personal solar, switching to Solar power pumps is on that horizon.

For my AP system I used 1 pump with a float valve as to minimize the power usage impact. Only took my electric bill (at the time) up $10/month
          An air pump - to oxygenate the recirculated solution. A high level of oxygen at the roots stimulates growth.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

An air pump - to oxygenate the recirculated solution. A high level of oxygen at the roots stimulates growth.
            Could you just use a venturi to suck in air, if the flow conditions allow it? Although putting in the restriction could increase the load on the pump to the point where it is not a practical alternative, I imagine.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Not necessary. Just an extra expense. Unless you are KEEPING your roots submerged. I wouldn't do it as it raises your equipment costs and gives you more things that might fail...

If treat your system like an NFT (water level) and water fall into your grow beds, you will be JUST fine...

Lose the air pump and save yourself headache.

Comment

Originally posted by giles117 View Post
                Not necessary. Just an extra expense. Unless you are KEEPING your roots submerged. I wouldn't do it as it raises your equipment costs and gives you more things that might fail...

If treat your system like an NFT (water level) and water fall into your grow beds, you will be JUST fine...

Lose the air pump and save yourself headache.
                Love the experts! You maybe have a degree in agriculture?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

One warning -

No need to waste time warning me.

Pointless to dialogue with rude people.

I will rescind my membership here. Thank goodness there are 7+billion people on earth. You can always avoid an idiot.
                  Last edited by russ; 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM. Reason: removed rant

Comment

Working...
                  X