What size solar for well pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    ...You need to consider an elevated tank, that will provide gravity pressure all night long, till the sun is up again to run the pump.
    How do you keep these from freezing solid as a rock during the winter?

Comment

Originally posted by Decidion View Post
      How do you keep these from freezing solid as a rock during the winter?
      I don't know if you mentioned it before but not everyone lives where it gets cold like your area. NE Washington does get a bit chilly for long periods.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        I don't know if you mentioned it before but not everyone lives where it gets cold like your area. NE Washington does get a bit chilly for long periods.
        Yeah, but is there some magic trick to keeping them from freezing? Having an elevated tank to provide the water pressure would be very convenient!

What about a small solar water heating system on the top of the elevated tank...something very simple, just enough to keep the water from freezing?

Comment

You get good sun there at least - a solar water heating panel (or two) on the structure might do the trick.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The solar collector would be BELOW the elevated tank, so the warm water can RISE (via thermosiphon) to the tank. use Poly tubing, that does not crack if frozen.

In my area, even at 25F, it takes a long time for 1500 gallons & 2" & 3" insulated pipe to freeze. Then spring comes.

I've had unprotected pipes crack, but no ice in the tanks yet.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

NW Washington has pretty cold spells - the brass monkey would be several sizes too small - but they get lots of sun.

You only need to keep the tank at maybe 35
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
              X