Grundfos SQFlex

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVCabin
    replied
    I spoke with one of the well drillers today and it is impossible to size the pump without knowing the specifics of the well (makes sense...). He told me to use the generator (Genrec 6kW) to run the pump and store a few days worth of water in a holding tank & then use a 12V DC pump to pressure the water for the cabin. Any thoughts, suggestions? Seems like the least expensive way to run the well pump, otherwise I would probably have to spend an extra thousand or two on a larger solar system just to run the pump.

Leave a comment:

• PVCabin
    replied
    I'm going to have a pressure tank in the crawl space & buy the largest one that will fit. The cabin will be used 3-4 days/week, so not sure I will be using a lot of water-50g/day sounds like a lot. The well might be deep, around 400' but the static level will hopefully be around 150' (based on the neighbors' wells). I am looking at the Grundfos because they are supposed to produce a soft start and not draw a lot of power initially.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    I've heard a "rule of thumb" (depending on your thumb size) of 50 gallons / day / person.

Do you have an elevated tank that provides gravity pressure, or a ground level pressure tank (with air bladder inside) ? Generally, the larger the pressure tank, the more time between pump starts, and pump starts really eat power. If you have one pump at 400', feeding a pressure tank, you need to figure on 400' feet of lift, PLUS the additional lift needed to pressurize your tank - maybe 500' lift needed to get 50psi into the tank. The calculation is on the web, about .4 psi per foot of elevation.

Leave a comment:

• PVCabin
    started a topic Grundfos SQFlex

Grundfos SQFlex

I am in the process of figuring out my wattage use for an off-grid cabin. The wells in the area are notoriously deep-around 400', I am planning (may change once I actually drill the well) on using a 1/2hp Grundfos SQFlex (AC pump), but I cannot find any information on how much power they will use to operate- I know it depends on how much water I will use, but just curious if anyone knows how much power they draw? Does anyone have any experience with these pumps? I know they have a soft start, which is why I am leaning towards using them.
    Also, how much power does a pressure pump (around 65g) use to operate? (1-2 people, 3-4 days/week).
    Thanks!
Working...