X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chenzo
    • Aug 2013

Newbie Help

Hi All,

Very interested in reading your comments and findings regarding the Solar Pool Pumps and wondered if anyone who had already installed this system if they could share some info with me. I have just had a pool built at my home near La Zenia in Costa Blanca and would love to be able to reduce or remove the costs involved with running the pump, especially during the summer when family and friends are there most of the time.

Appreciate there will be initial costs for the pump and solar panels but am happy to foot these costs if they pay for themselves.

Haven't found too much about Solar Pool Pumps apart from in the US and Australia, any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Have a good day everyone

Comment

• Texas Wellman
      • Apr 2013

Lorentz would be a good choice.

You will need at least 3 panels 200 watts each. I would opt for the AC interface or a 2nd AC pool pump so you can run at night or cloudy days.

Originally posted by chenzo
      Hi All,

Very interested in reading your comments and findings regarding the Solar Pool Pumps and wondered if anyone who had already installed this system if they could share some info with me. I have just had a pool built at my home near La Zenia in Costa Blanca and would love to be able to reduce or remove the costs involved with running the pump, especially during the summer when family and friends are there most of the time.

Appreciate there will be initial costs for the pump and solar panels but am happy to foot these costs if they pay for themselves.

Haven't found too much about Solar Pool Pumps apart from in the US and Australia, any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Have a good day everyone

Comment

• FLSolDesignGroup
        • May 2016

Originally posted by chenzo
        Newbie Help

Hi All,

Have a good day everyone

My advice if you decide to pursue a solar pool pump is to keep your existing AC powered pump in parallel and valved to allow you to bypass the DC pump when needed. We had too many clients where the DC pump failed and it is not quick and easy to drop in a replacement. Also, if any other component of the system fails, you can revert to your AC pump until the issue is resolved. There were also a number of issues with proper pool turnover and sanitation caused be lack of flow during extended inclement weather. Without batteries, which add dramatically to the cost, solar pool pumps are not adequate as primary pumps in my humble opinion.

With today's variable speed pumps, you will save a lot of money at a lower initial cost. The ROI on these two pump options is arguable, but the variable speed pump will be far more reliable and flexible in my experience. You might consider getting a small grid-tied PV system and a variable speed pump if your goal is to save money and use solar to circulate your pool water.

Comment

Working...