X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v pump and panel compatibility

Hi I have two of these panels
    https://www.energymatters.com.au/bp-...line-p-18.html

And wanted to know if it would be a good idea (sufficient) to run this pump directly from the panels with no battery at all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015Q..._t1_B07SCP3PBM

I'll be pumping water into a storage tank which will then gravity feed a soaker hose I have for my garden. I may put a battery timer on it so it will only run thirty minutes per day (noon to 1230).

Thoughts???

Hello et_99 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

After looking at that pump, it mentions it will work using both solar panels and a 24v battery although there was a picture with the pump powered directly from solar panels so I am not sure what you really need.

If it was me I would include a battery system and charge controller because the sun doesn't shine every day and you will not be able to pump on those cloudy days without a battery system.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      If it was me I would include a battery system and charge controller because the sun doesn't shine every day and you will not be able to pump on those cloudy days without a battery system.
      Here is an alternative that might be less expensive than batteries and a charge controller. Instead of storing that energy in a battery, buy a bigger tank and put a timer on the drip hose for cloudy days.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
        I actually already have a Toro zero pressure water timer. It's specifically for gravity fed applications.

I don't want to get into battery storage and such so if it's cloudy then the garden just won't get any water that day I guess.
        Can't control everything about nature.

Comment

Originally posted by et_99 View Post
          Thanks for the suggestions.
          I actually already have a Toro zero pressure water timer. It's specifically for gravity fed applications.
          Then get an elevated tank and do with PV what's been done for 100+ years with wind power - elevated storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

Here is an alternative that might be less expensive than batteries and a charge controller. Instead of storing that energy in a battery, buy a bigger tank and put a timer on the drip hose for cloudy days.
            Yep. If the OP doesn't need to pump every day, then just the solar panels (if they can handle the voltage dip) should be enough.

Comment

Yep. If the OP doesn't need to pump every day, then just the solar panels (if they can handle the voltage dip) should be enough.
              A long time ago I bought a device that ran a 12v attic fan off a small solar panel. It was some kind of DC to DC converter that made sure the motor got the right voltage or Amps. Maybe that is built into his pump if it showed it running off solar.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Then get an elevated tank and do with PV what's been done for 100+ years with wind power - elevated storage.
                Yes elevating the tank will get him more pressure than his existing gravity system.

Comment

A long time ago I bought a device that ran a 12v attic fan off a small solar panel. It was some kind of DC to DC converter that made sure the motor got the right voltage or Amps. Maybe that is built into his pump if it showed it running off solar.
                  I have a solar fan that works directly from a 10watt panel. It was designed that way.

I believe this pump will also work the same way but you still need to match up the "load" with the solar pv equipment. The advertisement did not go into detail concerning what the panel wattage or Vmp needs to be to properly run the pump. Those 12V panels have a Vmp = 17.6V and are rated 80watts.

Will two of them wired in series be correct to run this 24V pump?

Comment

Will two of them wired in series be correct to run this 24V pump?
                    I presume so if the converter is in the pump. I just read the specs and it says it has a 200 ft lift. It does draw 4 Amps and that.is the question whether 80 Watt panels can provide that unless perfectly aligned to the sun. A workaround might be put the panels in parallel but he might only get 100 ft of lift.

Comment

I presume so if the converter is in the pump. I just read the specs and it says it has a 200 ft lift. It does draw 4 Amps and that.is the question whether 80 Watt panels can provide that unless perfectly aligned to the sun. A workaround might be put the panels in parallel but he might only get 100 ft of lift.
                      Parallel panels will only provide less than 18V for a 24V pump. I doubt it will work well.

Comment

Parallel panels will only provide less than 18V for a 24V pump. I doubt it will work well.
                        The spec sheet says at 12 volts it will work but at half the pressure. So the question for the OP is how high does he need to pump. I only suggested parallel as a fallback option if he can't get enough Amps at 24 volts from those 80 Watt panels. One question is whether the Watt rating is based on nominal 12v or 18v.

Comment

An LCB (linear current booster) would definitely help with PV direct pumping . Problem is they are so expensive.

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

In theory, it could work
                            Your panels, 80w @ 17.6v gives 4.5A on paper, in real life, expect no more than 80% of nameplate = 3.6A only at noon, when aimed correctly
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                            X