Seeg advice on solar panel and pump for irrigation.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krawiea
    • Aug 2019

Seeg advice on solar panel and pump for irrigation.

Hi, I am looking for help in putting together a small system to lift water for irrigation. No engineering background, so I need help with sizing, determining the correct panel, wattage, voltage etc.

I would like to build a platform to hold 2 1-tonne cubes, one on top of the other, to hold water which will be discharged nightly to irrigate plants. The feed to the top of the upper cube will be about 5-6metres above the spring which is the watersource. My idea was to use one of the cheap pumps available on ebay(mini DC 24v solar water pump 28.8W claiming 1000L/Hr and capable of raising 6metres. This should be powered by a solar panel.

I would like to know if forum members agree that these pumps are capable of lifting the water as they claim. I would like it to lift and refill the 2m3 of water during the day, assuming there is enough sun. I am nervous about what happens if there is no sun. Does the pump stop? Or work more slowly? Does it need to be switched off somehow? Can it be damaged?

Any recommendations for what size and type of panel is required to power the pump? Can it power the pump directly or is a controller required?

I imagine there are ways of determining that the storage cubes are full and so turning off the pump, thus prolonging the life of the pump. But in the first instance, I would like to keep it simple and cheap. I would like to install 2, and possibly a third, system, so cost is a factor.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy K
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Check the published specs for your Pump Curve. At 0 lift, you get the most flow. at 6 meters you get .5 liter per hour. No pump curve? Walk away from the sale. Grundfos_10_SO5-9_pumpCurves.JPG

Attached Files
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• wayne23836
      • Apr 2016

You might want to check on a water ram (google search) as they do not require any electrical energy only use the flow of the spring water, either a diy or manufactured. I have experience with a size 10 ram delivering about 250 GPD with a 40 ft rise and 1100 ft run. This operated for over 50 years with minimal maintenance. This unit would deliver greater output with less rise or run.
      Wayne, Virginia, usa.,13kw tracking gt.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by krawiea

I imagine there are ways of determining that the storage cubes are full and so turning off the pump, thus prolonging the life of the pump. .........
        There are a number of float valves available on EBay and Amazon. You will have to make sure they are capable of handling the Amperage of your pump or use a relay which makes it more complicated.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...