RPM 3450

solar array is
    10 panels @
    220watt.
    Rated voltage. 29.2
    Shirt circuit current. 8.08
    Rated current. 7.54
    Max system voltage. 1000v
    I have midnite solar very nice controller. I have nit best batteries but plan to upgrade.

4 everstart deep cycle
    690 marina cranking amps
    101 amp hours @ 1a

I know not true deep cycle marine as been told but thats what i have at the moment. I hope to upgrade battery bank in near future.
    I know i need a larger inverter as i only have 110 v inverter.
    How many more panels would i need of same specs and what inverter would suit me best
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

If starting from scratch, consider the Grundfos SQFlex series, can run directly from PV panels.
    Using the 4 batteries, you will have very limited run time after the solar goes dark, that's a large pump, and takes a large inverter to run it
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DeadPhan
      • Jan 2019

I already have the pump i listed specs to. my friend owns the property and i live as caretaker of land. building up and such but budget is limited atm. down the road id imagine i will invest in such a pump.
      Never need to pump after dark. Can fill all my tanks and jugs and such during day. as i said i plan on upgrading battery bank as well. but yea, wondering what i need as far as, how many more panels? what kind of inverter reccomend?

Comment

• MichaelK!
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2015

You simply need to do the math on the numbers you've already provided. Your pump consumes 11.5 amps at 230V, so that 11.5X230 = 2645VA. So no, you don't have enough panels. Your set of panels would produce a theoretical maximum of 220W X 10 panels = 2200 watts. The real-world output is not likely to be higher than 80% of that, so 2200 X 0.8= 1760 watts. Double the number of panels and you might be able to run the pump from about 10am till 2pm. Earlier or later than that and the panels won't get close to their rated power. To run the pump from say 8am till 4pm, you'd need about 5000 watts of panels. That's assuming that the panels are mounted on rotating mounts that allow solar tracking. If fixed, don't expect more than 50% output before 10am.

A second issue is the surge wattage upon startup. The surge amperage for my 1.0hp pump is 3.8X the running amperage, so your startup power requirement is going to be around 10kw. There are a couple of good commercial inverters that can handle that power level. Outback's Radian 8048, and Schneider's XW+ 6848 come to mind. I use Schneider and it handles my 9000 watt surge just fine. You'll need a LARGE 48VDC battery bank to run this system, in the 400-500ah range, not 101ah.
        Last edited by MichaelK!; 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DeadPhan
          I already have the pump i listed specs to. my friend owns the property and i live as caretaker of land. building up and such but budget is limited atm. down the road id imagine i will invest in such a pump.
          Never need to pump after dark. Can fill all my tanks and jugs and such during day. as i said i plan on upgrading battery bank as well. but yea, wondering what i need as far as, how many more panels? what kind of inverter reccomend?
          Too bad you spent limited assets before you researched whether or not what you bought will work with what you have.

Comment

• neweclipse
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

Sell that 1-1/2 hp pump/motor and buy a 1/2 hp pump/motor

Comment

• DeadPhan
              • Jan 2019

Yea. I was suprised at how cheap some 24 volt easily powered by not too much solar, pumps sell for. I can afford as much and can just fill my reserve tanks through the day. Amd pump from them with inline dc pumps. or gravity even for the lower feilds. Im gonna likely invest in that. Just found a 24 volt 500 amp still in box never used wind turbine in the shed. lol. Didnt even know was there for a whole year. Previous parties on the hill prolly bought, never used, amd left. Merry day for me. That will be a nice trickle charge after sun down im sure at least. But was maybe gonna upgrade solar to suit current pump, but seems .ore affordable to get new lowere powered one

Comment

• neweclipse
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

500 watt...not 500 amp...huge difference

Comment

• NochiLife
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by DeadPhan
                  Yea. I was suprised at how cheap some 24 volt easily powered by not too much solar, pumps sell for. I can afford as much and can just fill my reserve tanks through the day. Amd pump from them with inline dc pumps. or gravity even for the lower feilds. Im gonna likely invest in that. Just found a 24 volt 500 amp still in box never used wind turbine in the shed. lol. Didnt even know was there for a whole year. Previous parties on the hill prolly bought, never used, amd left. Merry day for me. That will be a nice trickle charge after sun down im sure at least. But was maybe gonna upgrade solar to suit current pump, but seems .ore affordable to get new lowere powered one
                  Technically, you don't necessarily need a huge solar array to run a 1.5HP pump INTERMITTENTLY. (However, if you want continuous runtime during the day, this gets expensive fast.) That being said, though, finding an inverter that can start a 1.5HP synchronous AC motor will NOT be cheap. Either way, you'll probably be a lot better off (financially) getting a DC-rated submersible pump. Oh, well

Comment

Working...