X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi pond pump burnpout

At my community garden we have a seasonably adjustable solar array:
    8 panels
    each 20 watt 17.2 volt 1.17 amps wired in parallel.

Wired directly to a Johnson bilge pump
    DC 12v 12 amps to create aeration and a waterfall in our koi and turtle pond.

no battery storage, converter, regulator, etc involved, just a switch.

The trouble is for which we would fully appreciate someone's advice is:
    the pump only lasts at most a year. I'm told the motor gets burned with over voltage i full sunlight
    the windings get burned and with under amperage when the irradiance lessens.

So, should we add a small battery that would charge up and then feed the pump? With appropriate regulators etc? Trouble is we want the pump pumping when the sun is out, not charging the battery.

Any ideas anyone?

Jonathan Keller
    for La Plaza Cultural Community Garden
    www.laplazacultural.com

You need a linear current booster sized to match the pump. Many better solar suppliers stock them. They solve the early morning/late afternoon burnout caused by stalled motor.

Having a bilge pump last a year in this kind of service is pretty astounding. They last years on boats, being used 10 minutes a day on weekends. Brushed motors just wear out.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      You need a linear current booster sized to match the pump. Many better solar suppliers stock them. They solve the early morning/late afternoon burnout caused by stalled motor.

Having a bilge pump last a year in this kind of service is pretty astounding. They last years on boats, being used 10 minutes a day on weekends. Brushed motors just wear out.
      Thats it. We got a couple parallel post strings going from a duplicate original. Bruce

Comment

Get a Solar Powered water surface pump and be done with it. This pump will work as good as it gets with a 140 watt panel
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Get a Solar Powered water surface pump and be done with it. This pump will work as good as it gets with a 140 watt panel
          I have read the reviews on that filter and a number commented that it leaked and or could have drained the pond, increasing the flow rate increases the pressure in the filter may be increasing the possibility of it happening.

Doing a pond right is like a balancing act, flow rate, amount of media, water depth, surface area, pond lining, and location. I recently met a person I grew up with who now designs high-end ponds, nothing I could afford. We had a nice talk about ideas, mine is the poor man's version but it works.

I change out my prefilters once a week and flush the filter twice during the summer.

The flow rate through the filter is relatively low (350GPH not including head loss) and to enhance the waterfall I use a second pump. Potted plants that the turtles don't eat also helps with water quality, maintenance is low, adjust the PH after heavy rains and top off to account for evaporation.

Comment

Working...
          X