Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar PV direct Pumping system. What size solar panel do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
    It appears the pump controller needs higher voltage than a single 12 volt panel puts out. If you add another 100 watt 12 volt panel you need to series wire them.
    Alright, well I was planning on using a dc-dc buck converter instead of a pump controller. I was not able to find a pump controller for this specific pump.

Comment

This project would really be much simpler if you just went with a small sealed 12 volt battery and a small inexpensive controller.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I agree, but my group wants to do this without batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by ERIC5249 View Post
          I agree, but my group wants to do this without batteries.
          Is your group aware of the technical, maintenance and financial consequences of their perhaps ill-informed desires ? Or are they more of a "I saw this on U-tube so it must be a snap" type of mentality ?

Comment

What is the intended use of this pump? Are you charging a tank or just using this for watering? Have you bought the panel already, buying a battery voltage panel is a big mistake cost and performance wise. If you can operate the pump at a lower voltage like 9-10V, I would do that. Solar is a lot like a puppy or wife, it seems like a good idea at first.

Comment

Originally posted by ERIC5249 View Post
              Hello! I am working on a project where I need to pump water from one tank to another one. I am located in Rockford, IL and need to pump this system for a few hours. The pump that I am looking at using is a Shurflo 12 VDC pump (Model # 2088-514-145). I need 10 PSI and 2.90 GPM and the current needed for the pump is 5.6. I am not going to use any batteries as they are expensive, but I am wanting to use a Shurflo pump controller, 902-200 9300 series 12/24 V, to get a better performance from the pump. The one thing I am not sure of is what size solar panel do I need to run this pump? I calculated that I would need a 100 Watt pump, but I am not sure if this is correct.
              Batteries are only expensive when you use them to store energy and then use that energy at a later time over and over, It would be much simpler and cheaper in most cases like yours to just use a used car battery to satisfy the circuit and use a Cheap PWM controller, you don't need to store energy, if you are only going to use the system while the sun is up, the battery will just float most of the time, with the bonus of your system still working when a cloud passes by. Most cheap controllers can handle that kind of current on the load outputs and they usually have a timer and LVD to keep things happy, you just have to make sure and use a timer or manually control the system, but you are only going to get a working pump limited time your other way anyhow.
              Last edited by LETitROLL; 03-29-2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

How did you solve this problem? I wish to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by PCH View Post
                  How did you solve this problem? I wish to do the same.
                  Which is the problem you wish to solve? One small difference in YOUR install, will make a difference in the solution.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                  X