swimming pool pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swimming pool pump

Ok I have been looking at this forum for several months and have read a lot of information here. I am totally new to solar and have many questions. Here's what i have available to myself 10 315 watt panels 24 volt and I would like to run a pool pump off them. Is it possible for someone to dumb down an explanation for a dc pump and how it would be hooked up with the right amount of panels. before everyone goes off ... I have the panels and was thinking that I could save some money by purchasing a dc pump. I also was playing around with the thought of using these panels along with a dc water heater element to supply additional heat to the pool. 2 panels 315 watts to a 24 volt 900 watt element? Thoughts?
    Last edited by bubba2much; 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM.

If you want to heat pool water, first get a pool cover. Then, get solar thermal colledtors made for pool water heating. Plan on starting with a surface area of collectors ~ 1/2 the pool surface area once you find out how well the pool cover works, and increase from there. Do as you wish, but know that heating pool water with electricity, particularly from PV panels is, for many practical reasons, like cutting butter with a chain saw.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba2much View Post
      Ok I have been looking at this forum for several months and have read a lot of information here. I am totally new to solar and have many questions. Here's what i have available to myself 10 315 watt panels 24 volt and I would like to run a pool pump off them. Is it possible for someone to dumb down an explanation for a dc pump and how it would be hooked up with the right amount of panels. before everyone goes off ... I have the panels and was thinking that I could save some money by purchasing a dc pump. I also was playing around with the thought of using these panels along with a dc water heater element to supply additional heat to the pool. 2 panels 315 watts to a 24 volt 900 watt element? Thoughts?
      say you found 1 kW PV power source. Running it for 5 sunny hours would yield 5 kWh = 18000000 joules which would heat 450 kG or 118 gal of water by 10C (approx 20F). How big is your pool? My point is it's not worth it- size of PV equipment exceeds size of the pool being heated.

running pump would require battery to store energy so the pump motor would be running more or less predictably. Then again, pump selection usually starts from the size of the pool, not PV array.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        ......, like cutting butter with a chain saw.
        First, thaw the butter & remove the paper wrapper. Then it goes like snot on wet glass. And no chain lube needed.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
        X