Inverter to Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter to Battery

If i connect my inverter directly to battery and i have load during the day when the battery is also charged what happend??

will the battery also be charged when there is a load??

If you have wired your system so that your battery is being charged via solar panels and a charge controller and the battery is also be used by the inverter for your loads you should be ok.

Your battery will provide power to your loads and can still be charged by your solar panels. For that matter if your battery is "technically full charged" then your loads will get powered from your solar panels through the CC , battery and inverter.

Now if your loads drain the battery then all the charging amps that are generated by your solar panels will go into keeping the battery from dying.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I saw a youtube whereby a guy claims he can rum an ac pump 75watt with an 300watt inverter and a 7Ah battery. If this is not a hoax its ideal for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFTF1HjPihs

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I saw a youtube whereby a guy claims he can rum an ac pump 75watt with an 300watt inverter and a 7Ah battery. If this is not a hoax its ideal for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFTF1HjPihs
        You can charge a battery while it is being used but if the battery is too small you might drain it below 50% SOC if your panel does not provide you enough to keep it charged.

In the case of that video I would say he is taking a chance of killing that little 7Ah battery running that 75watt pump because the battery is just too small.

Comment

If i connect my inverter directly to battery and i have load during the day when the battery is also charged what happend??

If the load is greater than the array output then the battery will discharge as it needs to make up the deficiency.

If the load is smaller than the array output then the battery will be charged if it needs to be.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I saw a youtube whereby a guy claims he can rum an ac pump 75watt with an 300watt inverter and a 7Ah battery. If this is not a hoax its ideal for me.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFTF1HjPihs
            Complete BS.

A 12 volt 7 AH battery cannot run a 75 watt load. The math is impossible.
            Last edited by Sunking; 04-11-2017, 08:14 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Real simple, if the system is designed right it works.

Let's say you have a 50 watt load and run it 24 hours per day (1200 watt hours) with a 4 Sun Hour Day. You would need:

12 volt 500 AH 300 pound battery.
              450 watt solar panel
              40 Amp MPPT Charge Controler

It would run 24 hours a day no problem. When the sun is out the panels generate enough power to run the pump. plus recharge the batteries to run all day and night. It is really simple math when you think about it.
              • A 50 watt load uses 1200 watt hours in 24 hours (50 watts x 24 hours = 1200 watt hours)
              • The panels must generate 1.5 times the amount of power you need in a day on the shortest day of the year. So 1200 watt hours x 1.5 = 1800 watt hours.
              • If you have only a 4 Sun Hour Day and need to generate 1800 watt hours then you need 1800 watt hours / 4 Sun Hours = 450 watts.
              • 450 watt panel with a MPPT Controller into a 12 volt battery delivers 450 watts / 12 volts = 37.5 amps, so you need a 40 amp controller.

5th grade math.
              Last edited by Sunking; 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the expl Sunking. Im wondering what the minimum Ah needed (battery) for that 75w pump?? I think that guy on youtube can not run that pump in the evening with such a setup.

Comment

To be specific, i want to run that 75watt pump 1 hour during peakhours and 1 hour in the evening to fillup my watertank.
                  in theory i will use 150 watt/hours. What is the minimum Ah battery i needed to use in the evening?? That pump needs more wattage to startup i think.

Comment

Thanks for the expl Sunking. Im wondering what the minimum Ah needed (battery) for that 75w pump??.
                    depends on how many hours you run the pump each day. I can tell you how to calculate it.

Watts x Hours x 5 / Battery Voltage.

Example you want to run the pump 10 hours and use a 24 volt battery:

75 watts x 10 hours x 5 / 24 volts = 150 AH. 200 pound battery.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Im now testing a sanyo pump ac220v 50hz 125watt.
                      i use a NEW fully charged 40Ah agm battery and a 500watt inverter. i did not connect to solar panel and chargecontroller. The pump will not start and the inverter beeps and red light is burning.

does it mean i need a bigger inverter or bigger battery???
                      its my intention to use such a pump for 1-2 hours per day only.
                      Last edited by fivewin; 04-12-2017, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        Complete BS.

A 12 volt 7 AH battery cannot run a 75 watt load. The math is impossible.
                        Actually it did run for about 30 seconds and then I heard a "beep" which I think was the inverter shutting down due to low battery voltage.

Comment

So, how much Ah (single)battery i need then (without connecting to a solar system) to run a 75watt ac waterpump for for example 1 hour and what is the minimum watt inverter i have to use?? Assuming that the battery is fully charged ofcourse.

Comment

So, how much Ah (single)battery i need then (without connecting to a solar system) to run a 75watt ac waterpump for for example 1 hour and what is the minimum watt inverter i have to use?? Assuming that the battery is fully charged ofcourse.
                            A 75watt ac load for 1 hour is 75wh. Using a 12volt battery you would need a battery around (75wh / 12v x 4 = 25Ah). The DC to AC inverter could be as small as 150 watt.

That battery will allow you to discharge it 25% to get your 75wh give or take and you will need at least 3 amps of charging so about an 80watt panel and 10amp PWM CC should complete the system. If you run a bigger pump or for more hours you will need a bigger battery and solar panel wattage.

Comment

Thank you @SunEagle.
                              i still have a 50wp panel left and a 10amp CC. Lets say that i use the pump 1 hour every day ONLY after peakhours this 50Wp system with 40Ah agm should do i think. Im able to pump 600-800 liters of water to my watertank and thats more than enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X