Simple panel - battery for 6.0A water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple panel - battery for 6.0A water pump

Greeting everyone.. so I know I'm probably about to get a rash of harsh comments because of my lack of research but unfortunately I am on a bit of a time crunch because I don't have constant internet access to do the research that I need. So.. first off I apologize for the question which I am sure is easy answered here. If there is an answer already posted please just link me to it and I will read it.

So, with all that said I just have a pretty simple question. This is all 100% new to me as is electricity work in general. I bought a 12v water pump to run a rain water system. This is the pump..

http://www.seaflo.us/product/diaphra...ump-51-series/

My question simply is. For the moment this is the only piece of equipment that I will have running on 12v. The label on the pump says that it draws 6.0A with a Max of 10.0A. My power usage I figure will be the pump running for around 20 minutes per day.. not continuous. I simply need a suggestion on a small panel, charge controller and battery (which can be stored indoors/semi-ventelated..will be stored near the front door) to keep the system working. Cheapo Amazon kits are fine.. I just have NO idea how to size this at the moment without doing more research.

I have direct sun for about 8 hours in summer and I am not sure about winter yet but I am guessing that will drop to around 4-5ish. I do have the option to throw on a battery charger but would love to simply run off of solar as I plan to one day.. when time and expenses allow.. to begin to develop a bigger setup but that is probably a long way down the road from today.

Again I am sorry for my complete ignorance and would greatly greatly appreciate any helpful tips or suggestions. Thanks everyone.

~The new dummy

Do not buy the 12 volt version of this pump, go with the 24 volt version, It will only draw 3.0 amps and max of 5amps, much easier to design a system to meet your needs with anything but that 12 volt pump. If you already purchased return it for exchange..

Comment

• bcroe
      bcroe commented
      Editing a comment
      If the system components are located some distance apart, the higher voltage system will greatly
      reduce the cost of wiring for good efficiency. But for a compact system, 12V should work fine. Bruce Roe

distance is only par of the equation, battery size is greater at 24 volts w/o parallel batteries to maintain 12 volts nom.

Comment

Well, being a complete newb with all of this I had no idea and I already ordered the 12v. To further complicate things I live in Europe and had it shipped to me so I think I'm just going to have to work with what I have. The distance from the panel to the battery will be about 7' and the pump will be about 4' from the battery. I have read about power loss and how 24v is the "new" way to go, but that was much later after I already ordered the pump. :7 Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

6A for 20 minutes a day is 2 AH a day (24 WH a day, SK), hard to find a 12V battery too small for that. The start surge doesn't matter, even if voltage
        dips a bit more. And he already has the pump. Bruce Roe

Comment

somehow I missed daily run time of only 20 min's.

Comment

Dump the battery and controller. For outback pumping without batteries look up linear current booster and just get an extra panel. If just pumping a minimal head it is likely to draw a lot less current than the spec. These are actually pretty easy to build for those technically inclined or retail less than $200.

Comment

Linear current boosters are a great way to go in cases like this going direct from module to load (pump). It's too bad they have to be so freakin' expensive. Must be a pretty small market seeing the limited choices available.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...
              X