Can I have my DC water pump run off solar panel during day?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subsin
    commented on 's reply
    Hey, thats the one i have. I connected it directly and it seems to work. There is more volume too as the solar panel is giving around 20 volts.

• jackyyuen
    replied

http://amzn.to/29wiaH8 this will work.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by subsin
    I have a 100 watt solar panel powering the DC pump( rated for 12v,18v and 24v) in my pond. Its connected through a battery right now. I will be adding few lights and in order to save juice for the lights, can I power the pump directly from the solar panel and simultaneously charge the drained battery. what will happen if I connect 2 sets of wires(with and without a switch) to the pump, one from the load output of charge controller and one from the panel/input to controller) Thank you.
    Whoa. If you hook up 2 sets of wires, you could connect the charge controller in a way that it does not expect (PV to LOAD)

Also, check the LOAD port power rating of the controller, it may be a very low power spec. Many people have fried controllers by connecting too large of a load to the LOAD terminals.

Leave a comment:

• subsin
    replied
    Originally posted by Solartopower
    Yes you can but since the pump wasn't designed for it, its hard to tell you how well it will work. you need a charge controller(10 to 20amp) to regulate the voltage from the panel and you would want around 150w to run it.

Thanks for the reply Solartopower. I am currently using a 30 amp charge controller (at least thats what it states on the unit). If I'm correct the pump requires 3 to 12 watts depending on the voltage. Do you think the fluctuation in the voltage through the day can damage the unit even though its rated to work upto 24 volts? What if I have the charge controller turn on when the panel stops detecting the sun?

Leave a comment:

• Solartopower
    replied
    Yes you can but since the pump wasn't designed for it, its hard to tell you how well it will work. you need a charge controller(10 to 20amp) to regulate the voltage from the panel and you would want around 150w to run it.

Leave a comment:

• Can I have my DC water pump run off solar panel during day?

I have a 100 watt solar panel powering the DC pump( rated for 12v,18v and 24v) in my pond. Its connected through a battery right now. I will be adding few lights and in order to save juice for the lights, can I power the pump directly from the solar panel and simultaneously charge the drained battery. what will happen if I connect 2 sets of wires(with and without a switch) to the pump, one from the load output of charge controller and one from the panel/input to controller) Thank you.
    Last edited by subsin; 07-12-2016, 08:18 PM.
Working...