Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System is 24 VDC and desired well pump requires 30-300 VDC. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System is 24 VDC and desired well pump requires 30-300 VDC. What to do?

I'm looking for a well pump for a 139 foot deep well that I can run off of 24 VDC. It will need enough head to lift 139 feet and subsequently pressurize my expansion tank to 40 PSI. I came across a well known manufacturers submersible helical rotor pump which (to my dismay) states that it needs 30-300 VDC to operate. Is this pump off limits to my 24 VDC system, or is there a means whereby to operate it off of my 24 VDC system?

Potential answers in order from most simple to least simple:

1) Find another pump.
    2) My guess is that the pump that you have apparently selected is designed for panel direct. This is a cheaper solution because it does not require batteries. The only issue is that it requires sunlight to pump. So you could pump to a tank and then use a smaller pump with your 24V DC system to pump from the tank. This would mean that you'd effectively have two different solar systems; there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
    3) Change your solar system to use 48V or higher; this will require new batteries and a new charge controller - potentially.
    4) Figure out some voltage boosting circuit to get from 24V to something higher. I would guess that your battery current will increase dramatically and fry the batteries. You'll need to figure that one out too.

Chris

Comment

See is there is a wattage spec along with the voltage spec for that pump. 32V @ .5A is not going to do much.

Price out a pair of Grid Tie style panels - 50V range 200 - 250 watts ea. That would give you 400w at about 100V to pump daytimes with. Add a couple pressure tanks, and you would have water at night too

Give us a mfg's model or link to the pump, others may find it useful too.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

It is the Grundfos 6 SQF-2. Obviously not the pump I need, though its pump curve parameters seem to meet the criteria. Is there a submersible well pump that will run of of my 24 VDC battery bank, preferably without having to go through the inverter?

Comment

Oh, well then the most simple answer (call it, #0.5 on my previous list) is to go get an inverter and call it a day. The Gundfos pumps that run on A/C power cost about 25% of the ones that run off of solar and A/C; which will pay for an inverter and give you a few bucks left over.

Comment

Shurflo 9300 series have a 24v pump. It is a diaphragm type pump so I would not run it with a pressure tank. I do have one in my well that is ran solar direct to feed a cistern. The cistern then gravity feeds to the orchard through a timer. Could you redesign your system to feed a cistern then a second pump to pressurize the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by cjb80 View Post
              Oh, well then the most simple answer (call it, #0.5 on my previous list) is to go get an inverter and call it a day. The Gundfos pumps that run on A/C power cost about 25% of the ones that run off of solar and A/C; which will pay for an inverter and give you a few bucks left over.
              That's what I eventually decided to do in my case, any water guy can get me a new pump installed in 2 days for a couple hundred bucks. Being 400' from the power shed, and new to my property and unknown lightning hazards, the expensive solar pump was not for me. And a couple times in the winter, I had to pump from generator power.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

How much wind do you get, and suburban? Ever thought about an ole fashion Windmill?
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Have you ever priced a windmill and then figured in the maintenance costs?

Run the grundfos on 2 grundfos panels in series that operate at 70V each. Problem solved.

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                  How much wind do you get, and suburban? Ever thought about an ole fashion Windmill?

Comment

Working...
                  X