Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need experts advice on Solar system to water my fodder

Good day,

I need some assistance on choosing the right Battery for my project. I will be running 12v 1.5A water pump to feed my little fodder. I want the pump to run for 10 mins every 1 hour interval (24/7), so the total running time would be 4hrs/day (10min*24hrs = 240mins).
    I have bought the following components already.

- 12v 20A MPPT Solar Panel Regulator
    - 12v 1.45A water pump
    - 12v 16A Digital timer relay switch
    - 12v 15W Solar panel

So what is your recommendation for Battery. I am looking into buying a 10ahr 12volt battery. Does this over kill for my project or the correct one.

I am bit bad on calculations, so bit of an expert advice required. Could someone advice me how long my pump can run from 10ahr battery and how long this 15W panel would require to charge this battery in full sun(no shortage for Sun light throughout year in my place- say 7am to 5pm).

Also any recommendations for choosing the correct wiring. Distance between Solar panel and Charge controller/Battery would be aprox 5 meters)

Thanks in advance.
    Tharkuri
    Last edited by tharkuri; 03-16-2015, 05:01 PM. Reason: as per advice, removed the links

Have you tried plugging your numbers into Sunking's off-grid design calculator (in a sticky thread)?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Hi tharkuri and welcome to solar panel talk.

Sorry but its not cool to post links when your new. reason being we get inundated with people trying to advertise things for free. Just list your items and if people are interested they can always Google them, thanks for you understanding.

Comment

You have already screwed up buying a panel. The solar panel is completely useless, and the controller is overkill but will work. You need roughly 80 watt hours per day which means you need:

12 volt battery capacity = 35 AH
        Panel Wattage = 40 watts.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          You have already screwed up buying a panel. The solar panel is completely useless, and the controller is overkill but will work. You need roughly 80 watt hours per day which means you need:

12 volt battery capacity = 35 AH
          Panel Wattage = 40 watts.
          Ohh noo!!!

How is that possible.. my bad..

I was calculating something like this.. If a solar panel produces 15W / 12 V = 1.25Amps. Thats for aprox 9 hours, which comes around 11.25 amps total during day time. Does my Solar panel already good to produce 135W in this 9hrs?. The pump consumes 1.5amps, which is only 10 mins every 1 hour, 12v*1.5a*4hrs = 72W pump consumes per day... where does this remaining power from Solar goes? I could reduce the pumps running time for 5 mins or so(i have not really tested the pumps performance, based on that i could reduce the fodder size to start with) .

Where does my basic understanding fails??

Regads
          Tharkuri

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
            Have you tried plugging your numbers into Sunking's off-grid design calculator (in a sticky thread)?
            Thanks for that inetdog.. do you mind pointing the link, i could not find that..

Comment

Originally posted by tharkuri View Post
              Thanks for that inetdog.. do you mind pointing the link, i could not find that..

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

To find the rest of the useful stickies for this topic, go to Off Grid Solar and then go to Off Grid Solar Panel Systems.
              The sticky threads are in their own section at the top.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Tharkuri, I guess your choice of solar panel, and battery is right, only regulator is overkill, but it doesn't matter.
                12V 10AH battery DOD is about 60%, 15W solar panel charge battery need about 1.2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by YCsolar View Post
                  Tharkuri, I guess your choice of solar panel, and battery is right, only regulator is overkill, but it doesn't matter.
                  12V 10AH battery DOD is about 60%, 15W solar panel charge battery need about 1.2 days.
                  thanks YCsolar, your sweet words gives me little hope now.
                  My original assumption was, even a palm size Solar battery bank can charge up those little USB battery backup.. why can't this 15W 12V panel??

This setup will be deployed in India, so no fear of any long cloudy days.. i can assure that 365 days i will get excellent Sun light.

Even if it misses few schedule during early morning (in case if it runs out of battery juice), it won't kill my fodder.

regards

Comment

hope your system can work well, any further question, I am happy to help you. I am working in a solar energy application company, specialize in solar water pump system.

Comment

Originally posted by tharkuri View Post
                      Ohh noo!!!

How is that possible.. my bad..

I was calculating something like this.. If a solar panel produces 15W / 12 V = 1.25Amps.

You need to use the actual VMP of the panel instead of nominal voltage. VMP will be in the range of 15.5 to 20V depending on manufacturer. Most likely it is close to 18V. so 15W/18V = .8A.

Thats for aprox 9 hours,

Your confussing daylight hours with insolation hours. No place on earth averages 9 hours insolation. Generally average about 4 hours but with an off-grid system you need to plan for worst case which would be in the 2 to 3 hour range depending on your location.

which comes around 11.25 amps total during day time. Does my Solar panel already good to produce 135W in this 9hrs?. The pump consumes 1.5amps, which is only 10 mins every 1 hour, 12v*1.5a*4hrs = 72W pump consumes per day... where does this remaining power from Solar goes?

System efficiency. Anywhere from 30 to 50% of the produced power is lost

I could reduce the pumps running time for 5 mins or so(i have not really tested the pumps performance, based on that i could reduce the fodder size to start with) .

Where does my basic understanding fails??

Regads
                      Tharkuri
                      See red above

Comment

Working...
                      X