The maximum power horses !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The maximum power horses !

Regardless of anything. What is the maximum power horses a pump can be so that a solar-powered pumping system is practically feasible ?

Less than 1, and that is only for a short period of time around noon.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

What about AC pumps?

Comment

How deep are your pockets?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          I once saw a power horse at around 2PM!

Comment

Do you mean that it is possible to run any pump using solar power (say 20 hp vertical pump)
            if so, could you please guide me on how to design a solar system that handle such power. for example, what are the main components and how to calculate their specifications.

i have a well with a 20hp pump already fixed on it. So, regardless of the head, flow or expenses. i need to run this pump using solar power.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by amd711 View Post
              Do you mean that it is possible to run any pump using solar power (say 20 hp vertical pump)
              if so, could you please guide me on how to design a solar system that handle such power. for example, what are the main components and how to calculate their specifications.

i have a well with a 20hp pump already fixed on it. So, regardless of the head, flow or expenses. i need to run this pump using solar power.

thanks.
              the simple question is how much electricity does a 20hp pump require. The simple 750W = 1hp would indicate that that about 15KW of power is required. Then with losses and in-efficiencies, you should plan on about 20KW of PV array being installed. That would provide power only in the peak sun hours of your site, maybe 3 hours a day. Batteries will be needed to increase that time, and even more panels installed to recharge the batteries.

So - what would 30KW of PV panels cost you in your place of the world ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

thanks.
                Wow, I'm in for this...where is the popcorn eating emoticon?
                1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                  the simple question is how much electricity does a 20hp pump require. The simple 750W = 1hp would indicate that that about 15KW of power is required. Then with losses and in-efficiencies, you should plan on about 20KW of PV array being installed. That would provide power only in the peak sun hours of your site, maybe 3 hours a day. Batteries will be needed to increase that time, and even more panels installed to recharge the batteries.

So - what would 30KW of PV panels cost you in your place of the world ?
                  Mike don't forget about the ginormous battery bank, probably 3 phase off grid inverter charge controllers. and BOS
                  My Karnack hat is saying somewhere in the region of 100K+ USD
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Don't feed the morons. 20 hp motor on solar. Now that is funny.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250
                      A variable speed DC pump requiring 15KW could be run by an array like this, about 6.5 hours
                      a day under good sun at this time of year. It would require a matching mppt controller to
                      allow reduced power operation under mild overcast. While 15KW represents 20 hp, with losses
                      you might have more like half of that actually turning the shaft.

An AC pump is very fussy about power, so its not suitable for solar power as others explained.

Bruce Roe
                      Attached Files

Comment

thanks.
                        The guys are all saying it isn't impossible to run a pump but not practical from a cost basis. Not a solution I don't think.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The guys are all saying it isn't impossible to run a pump but not practical from a cost basis. Not a solution I don't think.
                          I do not care about money , should it cost 200k $ , so be it
                          i care about technical feasibility, if it is possible please show me how to design such system.

should I consider the pump starting current in chosing the inverter? if yes, how ?

also, specifications of the charge controller, PVs and batteries(suppose that i need to run it for five hours a day) but more importantly, i need to know how to calculate these specifications using the given information.

This well is for farms irrigations, it is meant to supply a large amount of water for far distances.

but in case it is impossible, (and i need to replace the pump) what is the maximum rating suitable for solar power (of course in case of AC pumps) and how to design such systems?

Comment

AMD, ok, so you're serious about running this pump from PV. Below are some questions and observations

1. You're positive there is no way to get grid power to that location for under 100K?
                            2. You need to go about this from the other direction. If a smaller pump would do the job, it'll be less expensive to buy the proper size pump than to add PV to run the 20HP...assuming the proper size isn't 19HP anyway.
                            3. Is it possible to drill another well or does everything need to come from this one well and pump? I ask because your DC pump run time is going to be limited to the peak sun hours, don't know if that will do the job for you or not but, if not, maybe a couple of smaller pumps running the same time would.
                            4. Where are you located and what months of the year would this pump be needed?
                            1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

AMD what you want is possible and if you want to do this will take a professional engineering design build firm to construct. The subject is out of scope of a DIY forum. I suggest you hire a professional for consultation.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X