powering a 1/2 HP 40gpm pool pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powering a 1/2 HP 40gpm pool pump

Would t Curious About Doing A Small Solar PaNel Project For My Pool FiLter If Possible.

I Currently have A 1/2 HP Hayward Pump That Is Rated For 40 Gpm . LabLe StatEs Its Rated At 8.0 Amps And 3450 Rpm

i Was Wondering If I CouLd Run ThIs With A Small Solar Panel SystEm Without BatterieS? I Saw A Youtube VidEo Of A Guy With Solar Paneks An An Inverter Running His Pool Pump

would This Be Possible? I WoUld Only Need To Run It AbOut 6 Hours A day

Sorry for the formatting

Sorry about the caps on every word, my tablet started doing that after I recieved an update today

I'm not fussy about the run time I just wonder if it can be done
    Without batteries and without damaging the pump

Can anyone tell me what system I would need to do this? I'm not against having batteries either

I was looking at those cheap harbor freight kits but not sure how many of those 15watt panels I would need to tie together

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by regal1988 View Post
      I was looking at those cheap harbor freight kits but not sure how many of those 15watt panels I would need to tie together

Thanks
      Hi and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

I will leave the complete reply to others but as how many Harbor Freight panels do you need (or want)? Zero as they are really useless things.

Other panels are better and cheaper.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        Hi and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

I will leave the complete reply to others but as how many Harbor Freight panels do you need (or want)? Zero as they are really useless things.

Other panels are better and cheaper.
        Yes I figured that. I was using them as example as I saw a "starter kit" of 3 panels being offered by them relatively cheap

This is more of a hobby then a serious project. I only use the pool from may to early September and the 1/2 hp doesn't cost me that much

I already have a solar savior pool filter (floating solar panel with dc marine pump and a few cartridge filters for those unfamiliar with this product )

Comment

I was looking at those cheap harbor freight kits but not sure how many of those 15watt panels I would need to tie together ...
          1/2 hp pump would be expected to consume about 1,000watts:
          120V x 8 A = 960w

You will need over 100 of the 15w panels to charge batteries to keep the pump running for 6 hours on sunny days.
          don't do it!

Look into 2 speed AC power pool pump with controller. That's the easiest way to go to save energy.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            1/2 hp pump would be expected to consume about 1,000watts:
            120V x 8 A = 960w

You will need over 100 of the 15w panels to charge batteries to keep the pump running for 6 hours on sunny days.
            don't do it!

Look into 2 speed AC power pool pump with controller. That's the easiest way to go to save energy.
            Well right now I have a 1hp pump rated at 11 amps (60 GPM) so I am cutting down by going to this new pump

I think the price of a 2 speed would outweigh any cost savings since I'm in the northeast and only operate pool for roughly 3 months

Plus I don't think they make a 2 speed for 1/2 hp pumps

Comment

I already have a solar savior pool filter (floating solar panel with dc marine pump and a few cartridge filters for those unfamiliar with this product )
              How are you making out with the solar floating panel? I'd like to give one a try, but I doubt it would work for me since my pool stays covered with a solar blanket when not in use.

Even though I'm already over-producing my electric consumption with my house panels, I'd still like to be able to run the pool filter independently for two reasons:

1 - I could keep the pool filtering when we're away on vacation. If the water turns green in the summer, sometimes it's a bear to get it clear again.

2 - When the you-know-what hits the fan and municipal services are disrupted - including electric and water - I could use the pool as a water source. Not much good if the water is green though, and my house panels are grid tied.

Comment

Water turning green is not a function of filtering to that extent it is more tied to chemical levels (AKA chlorine) so unless you have a chlorinator on the pool it will probably turn green anyway.
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
                  Water turning green is not a function of filtering to that extent it is more tied to chemical levels (AKA chlorine) so unless you have a chlorinator on the pool it will probably turn green anyway.
                  My chlorinator is tied into my filter system. So yes, I'd need a solar filter that could also have a chlorinator rigged to it. but in a pinch, the floating chlorinators could be used.

Comment

Working...
                  X