X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert1234
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2012

Pumps for Aquaponics / Ponds

I am putting aquaponics in my off-grid greenhouse. My current pumps I'm running during cycling are 15 watt, 120 vac but the power factor on these pumps has been measuring like 0.37-0.40. With 2 systems, that's an almost 2 kwh effectively off my battery bank each day just to run the pumps! Ugghh.

I have found a DC pump that will move the same amount of water (same height conditions) with a published 11.5W@24V. I assume that being it is a DC pump the power factor is defined as 1. For two systems, that's just 0.5-0.6 kwh per day to operate.

Rather than running a seperate 24v feed from the remote panel/battery/inverter setup, it appears I can convert my existing feed in the greenhouse back down to 24v to run these pumps and be better off even if I have only ~90% efficiency at each inverter. Are my AC pumps just THAT bad? What am I missing?
  • Robert1234
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2012

Nvrmind. Answered my own question with a big more digging. Duh I'll be pulling a DC line.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Robert1234
      Nvrmind. Answered my own question with a big more digging. Duh I'll be pulling a DC line.
      Don't feel bad. Some people ask questions and then sit back and wait for an answer they like. They would rather have others do their research for them but you did it for yourself. That shows initiative and great work.

Comment

Working...