Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wazza1152
    • May 2013

Need help, Swimming Pool Pump

Hi, new to the Site, we live in WA (Perth Western Australia), and as our generous Leader of Liberals wants to kick us in the Gut with more Power rises, we are on Pensions (disability for wife), we need to Pool for her ongoing treatment, we both have spinal damage, lucky hey
    Anyway back on to the subject, we have a 60k ltr Pool, Salt water chlorinated, running a 1.5 pump, which according to estimates costs about $1k a yr minimum to run, if we can afford to change it over to Solar it might be worth it
    Have checked out Solar Pumps, they run into the $450 range (roughly), am wanting to do it myself to cut down on costs, is there info out there in the Solar winds on wiring up and setting up a system? how many Panels will I need and what type are best, would fabricate a rack to sit the panels on
    Run the pump in Summer about 6 hrs daily, split into two 3 hr run times, less in Winter
    Do these pumps work ok with kreepy krawler type cleaning systems?
    Apologies for so many questions, don't want to go half cocked and miss something important
    Thanks in advance, hope someone can help out
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Wazza1152
    running a 1.5 pump, which according to estimates costs about $1k a yr minimum to run, if we can afford to change it over to Solar it might be worth it
    Have checked out Solar Pumps, they run into the $450 range (roughly), am wanting to do it myself to cut down on costs, is there info out there in the Solar winds on wiring up and setting up a system? how many Panels will I need and what type are best, would fabricate a rack to sit the panels on
    Run the pump in Summer about 6 hrs daily, split into two 3 hr run times, less in Winter
    1. A 1.5 what pump? Not sure what the standard measurements are down there. Over here, it would probably be 1.5 Horsepower, which is quite a few watts. Or else 1.5 inch, which does not tell us much at all.

2. The best operating time for the solar panels would be maybe four hours centered on solar noon in Summer and less than that in Winter. So your idea of two three-hour periods will probably never fly unless you throw in batteries. But if you do that, the system will end up costing you a lot more than the $1K/year you are already paying.

3. I think that the first step would be an accurate determination of just how much voltage and current your solar pump is going to take, and the detailed calculations can go from there.

4. One serious problem is that pumps for chlorinated pool water have to be pretty special to avoid corrosion damage, and I would bet that chlorinated salt water will be even worse. Are the solar pumps you are looking at OK for pool use?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Wazza1152
      • May 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
      1. A 1.5 what pump? Not sure what the standard measurements are down there. Over here, it would probably be 1.5 Horsepower, which is quite a few watts. Or else 1.5 inch, which does not tell us much at all.

2. The best operating time for the solar panels would be maybe four hours centered on solar noon in Summer and less than that in Winter. So your idea of two three-hour periods will probably never fly unless you throw in batteries. But if you do that, the system will end up costing you a lot more than the $1K/year you are already paying.

3. I think that the first step would be an accurate determination of just how much voltage and current your solar pump is going to take, and the detailed calculations can go from there.

4. One serious problem is that pumps for chlorinated pool water have to be pretty special to avoid corrosion damage, and I would bet that chlorinated salt water will be even worse. Are the solar pumps you are looking at OK for pool use?
      Thanks for the reply
      Yes it is a 1.5 HP Davey Pump
      Will put a killowatt thingymajig on the Pump to see what it uses
      Don't want to go with batteries, too expensive, in Summer we get a lot of Sunshine and constant temps of between 36 and 41 degrees celsius
      Saw this on Ebay, same as I want to get

Will post results of killowatt multimeter
      Cheers

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

That is a standard pool pump - nothing to do with solar
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Wazza1152
          • May 2013

Originally posted by russ
          Thanks, doing more research and found relevant info on DC Pumps, sellers of these systems want $3,500 plus delivery
          Minimum requirement in Panels by One seller is 4x190 panels
          More research to be done

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
            russ

Your are correct except that is a really BIG pool pump at 2hp or 1500watts. I have a pump rated 1hp at 220v which I could never justify running on solar.

I believe our sponsor sells Solar DC water pump kits but I don't know if they are rated for the salt and chlorine.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM. Reason: add sponsor info

Comment

• bahamasolarnoob
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Wazza1152
              Thanks, doing more research and found relevant info on DC Pumps, sellers of these systems want $3,500 plus delivery
              Minimum requirement in Panels by One seller is 4x190 panels
              More research to be done
              There is a guy on youtube running his pool in florida (I believe) on 4 120 watt panels, running a Hayward ecostar pump.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                russ

Your are correct except that is a really BIG pool pump at 2hp or 1500watts. I have a pump rated 1hp at 220v which I could never justify running on solar.

I believe our sponsor sells Solar DC water pump kits but I don't know if they are rated for the salt and chlorine.
                Both of mine are larger but a few thousand miled awsy at present
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Pool pumps are often way oversized for the pool. you should be able to research what size pump you NEED, and not what the original installer made the most profit from.

Variable speed AC pumps are likely the most miserly electric consumers. Add a couple of solar panels for a Grid Tie system, and you will likely shave your electric bill some. PV panels cost a lot, so a large install will be a huge expense that will take 10 years or more, to repay from savings.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob
                    There is a guy on youtube running his pool in florida (I believe) on 4 120 watt panels, running a Hayward ecostar pump.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJSPQDJibc
                    I find it hard to believe this guy is getting enough sunlight to run his pump for the hours he claims. Even with a variable flow rate pump it must slow down to a very low rate when the sun is not fully shining on his panels or he has another power source to keep the pump running.
                    Last edited by SunEagle; 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM. Reason: edited per vfd pump info

Comment

• bahamasolarnoob
                      • Apr 2013

I find it hard to believe this guy is getting enough sunlight to run his pump for the hours he claims. Even with a variable flow rate pump it must slow down to a very low rate when the sun is not fully shining on his panels or he has another power source to keep the pump running.
                      Yeah I found it hard to believe too, I tried to reach him on youtube but he never responded.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJSPQDJibc
                        Like most things on you tube it is a sick joke - mostly blather and questionable 100%
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Yeah I found it hard to believe too, I tried to reach him on youtube but he never responded.
                          My other concern is his use of those "Grid Tie" inverters. If connects them back into his house electrical circuits he is creating a big chance of an electrical fire. The whole set up looks more like a piece by piece installation that is ripe for failure.

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

My other concern is his use of those "Grid Tie" inverters. If connects them back into his house electrical circuits he is creating a big chance of an electrical fire. The whole set up looks more like a piece by piece installation that is ripe for failure.
                            It is really hard to tell from the video, but the way he talks it sounds as if he is just saying that the net power is zero rather than that the pump is not connected to POCO. Or else he has figured out how to deliberately island those GTIs.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Texas Wellman
                              • Apr 2013

Here's an idea for you instead.

Replace the motor on your current pool pump with a 2-speed motor. This can cut your electricity usage in half.

Here's the information I learned when I did mine. My 1-HP Pentair Whisperflo pump uses about 8 amps and pumps about 50-60 GPM. When my motor went out I opted for a dual-speed motor that fits right onto the same pump. At full speed (3450 rpm) I get full flow, about 50-60 GPM. The motor consumes about 8 amps. At 1/2 speed, about 1725 rpm, the pump pumps about 1/2 the water but only consumes 1/8 of the electricity.

3450 RPM about 8 amps 50-60 GPM
                              1725 RPM about 1 amp 20-30 GPM

I have a BW flowmeter on my pump discharge that verifies this fact. Since you are not pumping as much water as before you will need to run the pump longer, but I found that I only had to increase my daily usage by 3-4 hours, which still cut my power usage by 50% or more.

You will need to upgrade your timer to be compatible with a 2-speed pump. Mine starts on high speed and then switches to low after a pre-set time. You need to start on high-speed to ensure that the pump is fully primed, it may not prime fully on low speed. The other negative is that my skimmers don't work quite as well so I plugged one and simply run off one skimmer now. The flow detector for the SWCG (salt water chlorine generator) is a switch that works off of flow and sometimes they won't work well when the pump is on low speed (it flutters).

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...