X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brijesh
    • Feb 2013

AC 3 HP Pump

Dear Team

I have installed 3HP AC pump with 41V 150Watt x 28 nos of solar panel. Inveter needs 720V and 7Amp to Start the Pump. 150Watt solar panel gives 4Amp output. Can any one help me do make design for the same.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Pretty simple but you cannot run that pump with off-grid solar. Well you can run it for a short period of time with 1200 Kg of batteries.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

That con-man selling snake oil has been busy again !

If you split your array to 2 strings of 18 panels, then wire the 2 strings in parallel, you could get 738V @ 8amps. But you don't have enough panels to do this.

Additionally, 3 HP converts to 2250 watts. In real life, system losses (20%) and motor losses (15%) will mean that you need to have 3100 PV watts to run the motor. At an absolute minimum. At solar noon.

Your 28 panels could produce that, but their combined voltage & amps are not suitable. You need 36 of those panels to continue. (Assuming the 41V you listed is the Vmp (VoltageMaxPower) and not Voc)

Your dealer needs to make this right.

AND - I know of no inverter that is suitable for this voltage (738VDC) I hope you are not being sold a
      box of junk.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Brijesh
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
        That con-man selling snake oil has been busy again !

If you split your array to 2 strings of 18 panels, then wire the 2 strings in parallel, you could get 738V @ 8amps. But you don't have enough panels to do this.

Additionally, 3 HP converts to 2250 watts. In real life, system losses (20%) and motor losses (15%) will mean that you need to have 3100 PV watts to run the motor. At an absolute minimum. At solar noon.

Your 28 panels could produce that, but their combined voltage & amps are not suitable. You need 36 of those panels to continue. (Assuming the 41V you listed is the Vmp (VoltageMaxPower) and not Voc)

Your dealer needs to make this right.

AND - I know of no inverter that is suitable for this voltage (738VDC) I hope you are not being sold a
        box of junk.
        Mike Sir

Thanks for your detail help..!!

Comment

Working...