X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by dukejustice
    Or that some of you get into so fine grained details that you missed the starting question altogether.
    Is this the starting question:

The thing is that I find stupid to convert 12V to 110V for the fridge when itself has an transformer inside (I checked) to transform it into whatever voltage it needs.

Could someone nudge me in the right direction to tell me what it is called I am looking for? Can't I convert 12v directy to the "watever voltage" mentionned above?
    If so, please provide more information about the fridge model you are talking about. Roughly 99% of the refrigerators made which run off 120 volts use that 120 volts without modification to run the compressor motor and maybe a fan motor or two, and a solenoid if there is a water dispenser or ice maker.
    If there is a transformer in such a refrigerator, it will be there only to power the controls (either electronic or pure thermostats and timers.)

A refrigerator which is designed in a way that will let it run off 12 volts (or any other voltage) DC, will be several times more expensive than a 120 volt AC fridge.
    Just as your statement about the tankless water heater led most of us to react as if you thought that the DC was supplying the heat instead of just running the pump, we are thinking that either there really is not a transformer in your fridge or else that it is only supplying power to a very small fraction of the parts inside.
    Please give us a manufacturer and model number so we can better understand what your situation is.

My intention is not to be right (although I most often am) but to efficiently answer both your asked question and any questions that you should have asked but did not.

Last but not least, the fact that something works is a very positive thing, but if it works and will also keep working and cost the least amount of money possible that is even better.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• billvon
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2012

Thanks for that. I confirm you're right. Laws of physics... Now to know how to cut the 110v cord to affix a 12v-> whatever voltage for my fridge.
      Unless it's a Sunfrost (or other DC fridge) your refrigerator uses an AC compressor with an induction motor, which will not run on DC _or_ 12 volts.

I can afford to use 12v accross the board for if I install my 12v supply in the center of the house... I'll never run more then 20 feet. So power loss is minimal.
      For many devices that will work - but you will likely always need an inverter for a few 120VAC appliances.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Seems some of you or I have a problem understanding basic principles of a question.
        So what was your question?

Or that some of you get into so fine grained details that you missed the starting question altogether.
        What detail, you have not provided one detail. Just claims that are impossible and a crystal clear lack of undertanding how electricity really works. If you did understand you would have never selected 12 volts.

So here are two questions that will allow us to help you out:

• What make and model charge controller are you using?
        • What Battery Amp Hour Capacity are you using at 12 volts?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...