Can I run a thermoelectric fridge directly from solar panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phill
    • Dec 2012

Can I run a thermoelectric fridge directly from solar panels?

I have a 12-volt, 5 amp Igloo Kool mate 56-quart thermoelectric cooler and a newly purchased a 120-watt, 18-volt, 6.67-amp portable monocrystalline silicon solar panel. I would like to connect the solar panel directly to the cooler, without a battery, to operate the cooler during the day when I'm camping. I've connected the cooler to the solar panel and it worked. However, I only left it connected for about a minute because I didn't want to burn out the cooler due to the voltage differences. Will I need voltage regulator / controller even if I'm not using a battery?

Thanks,
    Phill
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Phill View Post
    I have a 12-volt, 5 amp Igloo Kool mate 56-quart thermoelectric cooler and a newly purchased a 120-watt, 18-volt, 6.67-amp portable monocrystalline silicon solar panel. I would like to connect the solar panel directly to the cooler, without a battery, to operate the cooler during the day when I'm camping. I've connected the cooler to the solar panel and it worked. However, I only left it connected for about a minute because I didn't want to burn out the cooler due to the voltage differences. Will I need voltage regulator / controller even if I'm not using a battery?

Thanks,
    Phill
    Look at the input voltage range allowed by the cooler. Some explicitly allow up to 20 volts or more.
    Then look at the volage from the fully lit panel while the cooler is running. Most do not have thermostats, so it would be a constant load.
    Finally, if you still have a problem, look at a DC-to-DC convertor or voltage regulator to protect the cooler.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

My gut feeling, is that with 12V nominal panels, you will be OK. But you will likely have to have 150% of panels to get 100% of the power the fridge wants. A 10A cooler will want 15A of solar panels, more if they are not aimed right 100% of the time.

The thermoelectric junctions are pretty robust, and as long as you stay below their solder melting point, you should be OK.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Phill
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        Look at the input voltage range allowed by the cooler. Some explicitly allow up to 20 volts or more.
        Then look at the volage from the fully lit panel while the cooler is running. Most do not have thermostats, so it would be a constant load.
        Finally, if you still have a problem, look at a DC-to-DC convertor or voltage regulator to protect the cooler.
        Thanks! Where do I find the input voltage range?

Comment

• Phill
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          My gut feeling, is that with 12V nominal panels, you will be OK. But you will likely have to have 150% of panels to get 100% of the power the fridge wants. A 10A cooler will want 15A of solar panels, more if they are not aimed right 100% of the time.

The thermoelectric junctions are pretty robust, and as long as you stay below their solder melting point, you should be OK.
          Thanks Mike!

Comment

• natel
            • Apr 2012

any success?

I am thinking about doing the same thing. Can you please post if your experiment worked out? Any advice for me?

Comment

Working...
            X