Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • natel
    • Apr 2012

Solar Powered Compost Tumbler?

So, I'm trying to think of creative ways to use a solar panels in my backyard. One idea that I have is to slowly turn my compost tumbler with a solar panel. It's a heavy compost tumbler that I made from a wine barrel. I'm wondering if a 120 watt panel and some low rpm motor could do this? The motor would just barely have to turn and if the tumbler only turned around once an hour or so, that would be enough. Any ideas where I could find a motor that might work for this application? Do all motors need voltage regulators?
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

What you would be looking to get would be a gear motor or a high torque motor. A car starter would work but the amp draw on that is huge. Perhaps one from a motorcycle and a timer to turn it on once or twice a day for a minute or so.
    You will need a panel, battery and charge controller in addition to the motor and timer.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

I've thought about this one too. The problem always hit the same snag. Gearing it down enough.

My final thoughts where to forget a slow turning system. Instead use a car starter and timer/relay to turn it for 30 seconds every hour or so. Then your panel needs to be just large enough to recharge the battery.

Never built it thoug as I was also conserned about the safety aspect or it. Wouldn't want it to start up when somone wasn't ready for it or an animal was in the way of getting caught.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

I am a fairly avid gardener and make my own compost. Even had one of the barrels some time ago. If you want to do it is just fine but quite a bit of overkill and defeats the purpose of make your own compost.

To make compost you do not want it to turn continuously or even once per day, but rather about once per week. It has to be allowed to site and heat up before it gets aerated. A simple hand crank will do the job to turn it over.

One way you could do it is use the gearing off an old bicycle and chain with a small dc motor
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• natel
          • Apr 2012

compost tumbler

Thanks for the input everyone. I did find one other person who made an auto tumbler and posted a video about it. This is AC though and it's a bit of an overkill. I think I could make one with a small panel and a good sized battery. I could also use the battery to run other things when the compost tumbler isn't turning. And, you're right, you don't need to turn the compost that often as I have now learned. What batteries are people using out there? Are there any good lithium batteries on the market now?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by natel
            Are there any good lithium batteries on the market now?
            Save your coins on batteries Lithium is a poor choice for this application. Wat hour for watt hour Lithium is 400 to 1000% higher in cost than lead acid batteries. If used outdoors look into AGM batteries.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by natel
              Thanks for the input everyone. I did find one other person who made an auto tumbler and posted a video about it. This is AC though and it's a bit of an overkill. I think I could make one with a small panel and a good sized battery. I could also use the battery to run other things when the compost tumbler isn't turning. And, you're right, you don't need to turn the compost that often as I have now learned. What batteries are people using out there? Are there any good lithium batteries on the market now?
              Please do not be under the impression there is anything at all green about what you want to do. It is exactly the opposite of green.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
                Please do not be under the impression there is anything at all green about what you want to do. It is exactly the opposite of green.
                A hand crank is green, especially if made out of wood.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...