• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digimart
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2011

Running Evaporative Cooler in home

Hi
    In previous years, I have been using an Evaporative cooler in my house to cool the inside temperature for about 3 months ( before Summer rains; "Monsoons" begin ).
    This year, I have a small solar system in place,
    I have been told that a normal AC based water pump and 14" fan takes about 500 Watts to run.
    I am looking for a DC based solution ( preferably operating at 48 VDC, because my battery bank is configured at 48 Volts ).
    Can any one suggest me some products to meet my following needs :

1. A submersible water pump, running on 48V DC, water lifting capacity about 6 Feet ( less than 2 meters ), Water Discharge outlet of 1/2 inch size, Brush-less, would be running for 14 to 18 hours at a stretch.

2. A DC motor running on 48 V DC, revolving at 1400 to 1600 rpm without load. With this motor, I will connect my existing fan blades and remove my existing AC running motor.

If any of you guys, can suggest or improvise over my above stated requirements, please feel free to let mw know.

Thanks

Omar
    [B]Omar S Chaudhry[/B]
    DigiMart
    Lahore
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

There are few 48V DC motors (pump & fan)

I'd suggest skip the DC route and look at a small 48V 600w inverter (they may not come very small) Maybe Exeltech XP600 or Samlex America S-600R-148
    You pay a little electric power for the inverter overhead, but gain with the variety of the coolers you can select from.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• digimart
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2011

Mike,
      Thanks for good advise
      I already have 48V inverter, and have spare power over and above my current usage.
      So this idea of yours appeals to me.
      Can you guide me of some couple of good & reliable makes of pumps and fan motors running on 220V AC, with good efficiency and low power consumption.

Thanks

Omar
      [B]Omar S Chaudhry[/B]
      DigiMart
      Lahore

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by digimart
        ........Can you guide me of some couple of good & reliable makes of pumps and fan motors running on 220V AC, with good efficiency and low power consumption...
        That's more searching than I want to do. I see you are overseas also. I'd suggest you look for manufactured Coolers, that have a high efficency rating . In the USA, we have Energy Star specs.

Also, something else fairly new, is what is called a Ductless Mini-Split air conditioner, with a small indoor unit, connected to a outside box. Compressers and fans are outdoors, they have a fairly sophicisted control system, snd brushless, vari-speed DC motors for the fans and compressors. They have become very efficient, and some will run with less than 400watts. Sanyo makes several sizes.
        Last edited by Mike90250; 03-20-2012, 11:09 AM.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• digimart
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2011

Thanks
          i will lookup at these " Ductless Mini-Split air conditioners "

Omar
          [B]Omar S Chaudhry[/B]
          DigiMart
          Lahore

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by digimart
            Thanks
            i will lookup at these " Ductless Mini-Split air conditioners "

Omar
            In India they are the most common thing around - I expect Pakistan is similar.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• DLoh
              • Jun 2012

Hello,

I have a 6500 CFM evaporative cooler. Yesterday when preparing it for this season's use, I found that the water pump outlet had broken off, thus it's time for a new pump.

I would love to retrofit this pump with solar. I have no solar system at this time and am looking for something simple - just a panel and pump. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Would a DC pump be quieter? I was thinking of using a separate reservoir to isolate the pump noise (the cooler is a downdraft model mounted about 4 feet up and ducted into the house) so a separate reservoir could be as simple as a 5 gallon bucket.

Of course the ideal would be to have some sort of automated feedback that would increase the water flow to maintain a preset pad dampness, but that seems too complicated.

Any ideas?
              Thanks, Dave

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2011

If you can handle having the swamp cooler only run during the heat of the day this looks like a decient conversion.

Comment

Working...