Best off grid refrigerator med 8-12sf size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best off grid refrigerator med 8-12sf size

As the title states, i am putting together the list of what it will take to live off grid , year round in a 600sf cabin/home....i am leaning towards a 48V system, but if necessary will go to 120V....just wanted to avoid all of the code/bldg inspections that i am pretty sure would be required for 120v. Anyway, what is most members opinions on the most effiecient refrig out there? A larger one would be ok, IF it is highly effiecient ....thanks for any thoughts and suggestions on this matter.....also, if any info on other off grid appliances of hints, will gladly read....Thanks , rsbhunter
    "If you stand for nothing, You'll fall for anything"

Well, these days there are a number of options. A couple of the name-brand, commonly-known makers have some models that are quite efficient, particularly compared with ten years ago. I've seen references to them here on the forum, you can try a search. I have not owned any of them, so I'll leave specifics to someone else.

We have a DC 'fridge and a DC freezer, each 10 cu. ft. These are the Sunfrost brand and are extremely efficient, plus constructed with thick foam walls and top and bottom. We had our freezer off for several days last fall, when it was still pretty warm weather, and everything stayed frozen until we had it hooked back up [not a problem with the freezer but with something else that cut our electricity use for a few days].

The negative is that Sunfrost appliances are pricey. I think the freezer was maybe $1500 or a bit more back four years ago. On the other hand, the 'fridge has been working for us for over twenty years and has had zero troubles and is still working perfectly. I had to replace the door gasket a couple years ago [after 18 yr.] and ordered it from Sunfrost for less than $10.

I am thinking that SF makes their appliances in 120-volt models, too, but I don't recall for certain. Nice thing about the DC is one does not "spend" any power inverting. Ours are hooked to our battery bank via a dedicated fuse. We have plenty of other things running off our 120 v. inverter, but those two applicances and a big swamp cooler in the greenhouse are DC.

Comment

SunDanzer

Take a look at SunDanzer. They make an 8 cf model. It has thick insulation and a simple, reliable design for off-grid use.

-A shameless plug

Comment

Refrig

I will look into and compare both of those models...thanks to all...rsbhunter

Comment

If you are not against a chest type of fridge, you might want to look at the last few pages of this thread.

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...r-Refrigerator

Comment

converted freezer

bidaw, thanks for the info....anything that saves amps/watts/ wh's, or headaches is a gift....rsbhunter

Comment

Are freezers usually made with more insulation or do they make refrigerators now that have the same amount of insulation? I would think the nicer brands with the refrigerator water filter would have the same amount to save on energy costs. Also, could one modify an existing fridge with thicker insulation to make it even more energy efficient?

Comment

refrigerators

Yes, most freezers seem to have really thick insulation...Iv'e looked on google and there are some pretty effiecient refrigerators out there. Look for the "energy star" rated ones...if you stay with a reasonable size they will work well in a off grid solar set up...as far as i'm concerned...rsbhunter

Comment

Working...
                X