X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisski
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2020

4 Ton Mini-SPlit

Wondering if anyone has any experience with a 4 ton mini-split install?

I am thinking of replacing my regular 4 ton AC unit with a 4 ton 3 head mini split.

I can’t find any real data about improvements on the mini split energy usage. There’s plenty of vague claims like “it sips energy,” you’ll “save bundles on your energy bill.” The people I talk to who has done this either got smaller 120 volt units, or just don’t keep track of energy.

If I’m to go by the SEER rating I can expect to use 40% less energy, but the hearsay makes me think closer to 80%.

I would be going from a 14 SEER to a 20.5 SEER AC unit.
  • Rade
    • Aug 2023

Interesting topic. We have a Generac solar rig with an 18kW battery backup. We also have a Mitsubishi mini-split on our home that is wired into the fail-over sub-panel attached to our inverter. The most we have seen the system pull was about 2kW, but we don't use it 24x7.
    Rade Radosevich-Slay
    Tiverton, RI

Comment

• chrisski
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2020

Originally posted by Rade
      Interesting topic. We have a Generac solar rig with an 18kW battery backup. We also have a Mitsubishi mini-split on our home that is wired into the fail-over sub-panel attached to our inverter. The most we have seen the system pull was about 2kW, but we don't use it 24x7.
      I appreciate the response. I assume you have the 4 ton / 48 k BTU mini-split.

I have a 4 ton regular AC connected to the critical loads panel that should pull around 4 kW when on. I’ve tested this in the winter, and the Outback Radian has no problen spooling this regular 4 ton and running it.

If that changes in the summer and the Outback struggles to run it, I am thinking of replacing that regular 4 ton unit with a 4 ton mini-spli, perhaps 20.5 SEER. The math says this should pull 2 kW. That would be on 24/7.

Comment

Working...