Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kommong2
    • May 2016

Solar system to warm water in outdoor bath tub away from the water source

I am looking to run this https://amzn.to/3h9Unv5 1000 watt immersion heater to warm the water for an hour or so. What would you experts suggest if I am looking for an off grid solution? Since power source is far from my house and I don't wanna deal with permits and such so I was looking for a portable solar panel system that can run without batteries and provide power to this device for an hour during the day time.

Appreciate the help.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

That plug in immersion heater is only rated to run on AC. Put it on DC and the thermostat contacts will weld shut and the thing will boil dry.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

So as Mike stated you will need an inverter and they require a battery. So you system will include solar panels, charge controller, battery system and inverter.

That may cost you a pretty penny for a hot bath. You might be better off getting an inverter type generator and just run it long enough to heat the water. Then shut it down and soak.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2016

So why do you need 1,000W ? Is this a bird bath or tub for cattle water. I heat water with solar and happy with fairly low power, it is most of day. Electronically this is neither complicated or expensive and doesn't need batteries. Unfortunately there are no cheap products to do this.

Comment

• kommong2
          • May 2016

Originally posted by PNPmacnab
          So why do you need 1,000W ? Is this a bird bath or tub for cattle water. I heat water with solar and happy with fairly low power, it is most of day. Electronically this is neither complicated or expensive and doesn't need batteries. Unfortunately there are no cheap products to do this.
          It is a blowup Jacuzzi so I bought a portable heater. What solar device you use to heat water?

Comment

• PNPmacnab
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2016

Get a small 12V panel, a little 12V pump, and a roll of black plastic pipe.

Comment

• azdave
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by PNPmacnab
              Get a small 12V panel, a little 12V pump, and a roll of black plastic pipe.
              If he's got a circulation pump with it he could probably tap into one of the returns and only need a coil of black tubing.

It must be a tiny Jacuzzi if you expect that heater to be effective. Maybe your water is already warm and you just need a small boost? It will probably only add 2-3 degrees an hour at best but I am purely guessing because I have no idea how many gallons you are heating and what the temperature rise needs to be. Might be easier to carry 5-gallon pails of hot water from the house.
              Dave W. Gilbert AZ
              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

The problem is the sun doesn't shine every day so there will be no warm water on cloudy days using only solar.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2016

If you can afford that much battery you'd probably have something better than a rubber tub. I use my hot tub sporadically and let it drop to 80F when not being used. Mornings when I am going to use ,it will be turned on when I wake up in the night. I have this down to a science. With a 4,000W heating element, it is 4 degrees an hour to warm up. That is a lot of storage for a couple of days.

Comment

Working...