Generator vs batteries

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abson
    • Mar 2022

Not just lifepo4 battery, any lithium battery will degrade performance in low temperature environment. But this is no longer a difficult problem, and now some lithium batteries also have their own temperature-controlled heating function.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by sidpost

Freezing temperatures are a valid concern but, protection for that condition is pretty simple and embedded in my charge controllers, even the ones on lead-acid batteries! Charging a frozen lead-acid battery isn't a good idea either! Not to mention, the power available really falls.

Lead acid batteries have a gradual decline in performance below 50F
      Li batteries have a steeper drop off below 40F

unless you are running a generator, where do you get the power to run the heat mat for your Li batteries ?

Lead acid can be charged and discharged well below freezing. Li, below freezing , has a steep drop in performance, and cannot be recharged. If the BMS disconnects the Li battery from the system, as it's supposed to do, you save the battery and fry your charge controllers in the morning when the sun lights them up and they have no battery connected..

Freeze point Pb battery.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sidpost
        • Mar 2022

Assuming I have solar power available, that will run a heat mat. Unless I reach the cutoff voltage overnight, I can use the 30Kw/hr to provide some heat as well.

I have a 3500W generator as well and will likely add either a whole house Natural Gas or Kubota Diesel generator for times I don't have shore power or sunshine.

Comment

Working...