Summer RV system review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer RV system review

3 months of summer my s/o and I go to the mountains of SW Virginia. A little bit of peace and quiet. We have 12 acres. None of which will perk. either to rocky to steep or too close to our stream. County said we have to put in an alternative system. A septic processing sewer system that flows back into the stream. Supposed to be clean enough to drink? $500 for a permit $2000 for an engineer just to find out how much the system cost. Could be up to $40000 Dollars!!! Wow. So we use solar panels batteries and generator. Solar is new to me not sure im doing it right. Looking for suggestions. I use 700 watt hours @12 volt DC. And 200 inverted for tv phone charger and nebulizer. About 12 cents a day if it were from poco. Last year it rained 27 days of August. I have 600 watts of mppt solar a 2000 generator a 45 amp iota charger and a 416 amp hr 12 volt battery. The way I ran the system when the batteries were at 70% soc I'd run the generator early each morning bring the batteries to 90% . Then hope for sunshine that didn't come. So once a week I'd charge to 100% . When the days were sunny in June I only get 4 hours direct sun on the panels. Trees and mountains blocking. I found I still needed to run the generator for an hour or so for bulk and let the solar finish. Any suggestions or criticism on how Im doing this would be appreciated.

Is a composting toilet an option?
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Chainsaw to fix the trees, place a new PV array in a better location
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Anyone need some firewood. The thought of a composting toilet has occurred to me because of water availability. County water line on my side of the road but no access without some where for it to go. I use a 300 gal water tank on a trailer. Couple times a month I have to hook up and dump the grey water. black water tank would last 30 days.

Comment

Ampster doesn't composting toilets use power for a fan

Comment

Energy
            700 watt hours @12 volt DC
            Can you give a detailed list of the loads you are using; watts, time, and which ones use an inverter?

Septic
            If you have 12 acres of wilderness available and few to no neighbors nearby, you may have some more options on septic.
            What are all your current options for the septic/disposing of waste? And your area's requirements for septic?

I'd also recommend posing this conundrum on some offgridding forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Ho jo View Post
              Ampster doesn't composting toilets use power for a fan
              Yes the RV ones do. I saw one on an off grid house in Taos 25 years ago that used convection. Dont know if that is code in your area. As far as a septic tank is convcerned it is the leech lines that are thie issue, correct? Greta Gremlin had some good suggestions. Google is your friend.

Comment

My county health department requires A norweco singular 1000 gallon tank system and that is my only option. To many rocks and a stream near by wont allow privies or pump and haul tanks.

Comment

Oh well, I guess that is why you probably got a good deal on the property.

Comment

Seemed so at the time of purchase. I saw power lines on the property and found out it had county water thought I was all set. (Wrong) Had to do a 1500 dollar resurvey because it was recorded at the tax office as being on hwy 644 instead of 643. before I could get a 500 dollar permit for perk test The question of cost comes with installation. According to what the engineer determines it needs as far as anchors and gravel and weights to keep the tank from floating out the ground. 5000 for the system 2000 for the engineer and another $500 for the alternative permit and who knows how much for installation.
                    Last edited by Ho jo; 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ho jo View Post
                      Seemed so at the time of purchase. I saw power lines on the property and found out it had county water thought I was all set. (Wrong)
                      Sorry to hear that. I'm in California and have probably done 20 purchases for my own account all in suburban locations.
                      The disclosures have become quite elaborate, especially lately. I am thinking about buying some acreage in rural Sonoma County and you have helped me realize what I need to think about in terms of due diligence.

Comment

Are you permitted to use the black water tank in your RV instead of installing new septic system?

Comment

Greta Gremlin yes but only part time can not use an rv for permanent year round resident.

Comment

You said you are there for 3 months, what would the rules consider "part-time"?
                            Is it possible to leave, then come back to begin another part-time session?

Comment

6 months out of a year unless you have a building permit for a house then it is one year.

Comment

Working...
                              X