Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you offer some advice on refrigeration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketcase
    replied
    I like where your head is at, but that presents another challenge. Getting the "design team" to accept a chest fridge instead of a standard upright. The women still want it too look like a "regular" kitchen. I totally see the advantages, but I just don't think it would fly, aesthetically.

Leave a comment:

• Logan5
    replied
    search for solar chest type refrigeration. vertical front load units will run the compressor each time you open the door, chest type will cycle much less often and for a shorter run time. chest types can also maintain temp for many hours w/o power.

Leave a comment:

• Basketcase
    started a topic Can you offer some advice on refrigeration?

Can you offer some advice on refrigeration?

We have an off grid house on an island and our Dometic RGE400 fridge is giving us a hard time this year (pilot wont stay lit) and honestly, I've never liked the unit in the first place. I would really like to go solar. We already have a small solar setup, and I upgraded the charge controller in anticipation of a larger system to run a fridge. Hopefully I can present the challenges I have, and you can steer me right.

The reason I don't like the propane fridge are because it is too small (8 cubic feet) and that temperature regulation is challenging. This is a 4 bedroom house where we stay for a week or 2 at a time, so we need to bring enough food for everyone for that long. Once you load that thing up, not only does it take a while to get down to temp, but on really hot days, it struggles to get there at all. I think we exceed it's capacity and expect too much from it. We PACK it full, and there is nothing but convection to circulate air.

I see two options. My preference, mostly due to familiarity, is a typical residential fridge run off an inverter. I've done the math, and the size fridge I need wants about 900 watt hours/day. The benefit of this fridge is good temp regulation, large size, and price of the fridge itself if it needs replacement ($500-$600). Down side, I need an inverter (psw) and larger solar array/batteries than other methods.

My other option is a 12/24v fridge. I know nothing about them except that there is one other one on the island. I have not asked them how they like it. The downside is the cost. One similar in size to the $600 conventional one is over 2k and does not seem to have a significant wattage reduction at about 650 watt hours/day. (although after reading that, I realize there is loss through the inverter as well) My wonder is, how well do they work at regulating temp and how do they like being packed full? Is it similar to a conventional fridge or my current propane fridge? The benefit is lower energy use but not by a dramatic amount IMO.

My other loads are cell phone chargers and some LED lights. A worst case scenario of 300 watt hours if the house is packed. (we also use a lot of kerosene lamps). I have the benefit of only needing to do this during the summer months and really only loading the house up during july and august. The house is used from may to september, shuttered and closed after that.

It appears to me that initial cost will be about the same. I need to upgrade my solar no matter which route I choose, but obviously more if I go 120v. One benefit is that I have a local supply of panels at .50/watt. I really don't want to sacrifice on size and better temperature regulation would be great to have. What advice can you give? I've read a lot on here about this. Obviously what I'm hoping for is confirmation that MY way is the best way. lol. That being said, I take advice when it is given so I appreciate what knowledgeable people have to say.
Working...
X