lets talk sbout appliances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk sbout appliances

something we can all agree on is that renewable energy begins with conservation and efficiency, our current home was built in the 60's with none of that in mind, so we decided to start from scratch and build a better structure out on some acreage, that's another story by itself.

since our current appliances are old, we don't plan on taking any with us, so I have looked into it, I planed on an efficient fridge since ours is probably responsible for most out usage, found out it don't get any more efficient than a chest freezer conversion, but how about a clothes washer? one that is not only energy efficient but also conserves water, a dishwasher I assume any would do on a short wash cycle and no heated dry option, any thoughts/ recent experiences, how about those minisplits, I don't know anything about them

The most efficient washers are found among the ranks of front loaders. They can agitate clothes safely with a minimum amount of water since the clothes do not have to be fully submerged.
    The direct drive speed controlled motor models make for better energy efficiency too. They also feature a high spin speed to reduce the dryer energy needed.

The solar dryer (poles and a line) will be the most efficient possible when the weather is right.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      The most efficient washers are found among the ranks of front loaders. They can agitate clothes safely with a minimum amount of water since the clothes do not have to be fully submerged.
      The direct drive speed controlled motor models make for better energy efficiency too. They also feature a high spin speed to reduce the dryer energy needed.

The solar dryer (poles and a line) will be the most efficient possible when the weather is right.
      More common clothes washer in europe is a front loader. Most common in U.S is top loader. I had a front loader in the '70's- '80's. (Amana). Used ~ 12-13 gal. H2O/load and never broke down. Cost ~ 50% more than top loader. At the time top loaders used ~ 30-40 gal. H2O. My current dishwasher uses 4.6 gal. H2O/load. My current top loading clothes washer uses ~ 20-25 gal./load and is a PITA to use. Better in H2O use than old top loaders, crappy on facility of use.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

More common clothes washer in europe is a front loader. Most common in U.S is top loader. I had a front loader in the '70's- '80's. (Amana). Used ~ 12-13 gal. H2O/load and never broke down. Cost ~ 50% more than top loader. At the time top loaders used ~ 30-40 gal. H2O. My current dishwasher uses 4.6 gal. H2O/load. My current top loading clothes washer uses ~ 20-25 gal./load and is a PITA to use. Better in H2O use than old top loaders, crappy on facility of use.
        If it's 'screw' type washer it quickly puts holes in your clothes so you're always up to date on fashion side

Comment

For a very energy and water efficient washer, have a look at the Maytag Maxima X.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

If it's 'screw' type washer it quickly puts holes in your clothes so you're always up to date on fashion side
            I try to slip under the radar and not look like a multimillionaire Mensa member, so, these days, I mostly look/dress like Sam Elliott's character in "Roadhouse". First impressions count. Since retirement, no one has accused me of being a slave to fashion.

Comment

Kilowatts says my Maytag Bravos 4.3 cubic foot top load direct drive was an energy saver. Took so little power, learned quickly not worth trying to run with a small off-grid system. Its senses the weight and adds the right amount of water. Commercial technology 10 year warranty, made in the USA. Or pay $200 more for a really good lucky Goldstar or Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
                Kilowatts says my Maytag Bravos 4.3 cubic foot top load direct drive was an energy saver. Took so little power, learned quickly not worth trying to run with a small off-grid system. Its senses the weight and adds the right amount of water. Commercial technology 10 year warranty, made in the USA. Or pay $200 more for a really good lucky Goldstar or Samsung.
                Same as mine. I think it sucks. So does SWMBO (think it sucks). I hate contraptions that attempt to do my thinking for me.

Comment

The Maytag Maxima X has a nice little review here: http://solarhomestead.com/clothes-wa...off-grid-home/

Comment

Originally posted by georgerc View Post
                    something we can all agree on is that renewable energy begins with conservation and efficiency... how about a clothes washer? one that is not only energy efficient but also conserves water...
                    My clothes washer is an old, creaky, and stinky GE WBVH6240F frontloader, so I've been slowly shopping around for an efficient washer/dryer pair.
                    The best search tool I know of is enervee.com, which lets you search by water use, energy use, size, and/or total cost of ownership. Rather spiffy.
                    But it finds some things that might not be available locally, so don't get too excited about a model until you verify you can actually get one.
                    lowest.com is my second favorite one, it's more realistic about showing things actually on sale, and it has pretty good search filters (including a CEE Tier one which may help pick up efficient ones).

Comment

Here is a category you can actually buy American, with confidence. And buy it from a big box that gives you 90 days to return it. And you'll figure out if you like it or not .top-load Maytag with no screw ,senses water amount like all of them probably claim to. You have heard of the Lonely Maytag repairman?

Comment

I stick with my Staber, US made with no transmission and a mechanical timer. Its a horizontal axis washer but a top loader and its spin cycle gets out a lot more water.

Comment

We have one of the "exploding" Samsung top load high efficiency washers that we are overall happy with. The problem with these things is that their suspension rod/spring assemblies weaken with age which causes the machine to go out of balance at the slightest excuse. Usually, the machine senses the out of balance and just stops but I guess on occasion, they just keep going until something gives and pieces start to fly. For $80 or so and a half hour's work, I bought and installed new rod/spring assemblies and solved the out of balance issue. Samsung's offer to give us $35 to put towards a replacement machine was laughable so we had them install their "fix", part of which was supplying us with a new cycle label that hid the original "bedding" cycle (which had a medium spin speed) and renamed the "delicates" cycle "delicates/bedding." The delicates cycle with its low spin speed doesn't really do a good job on bedding so we continue to use the old bedding cycle for comforters.

We like the top loader without the center agitator because it easily takes a large comforter. We've also not found the top loader to be susceptible to the odor that is so common in front loaders.

We love the gas dryer too and would recommend it for anyone with gas service. It's especially great for anyone on T.O.U. and/or Demand electric rate plans.

Comment

Is this what your Samsung exploder did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                              Is this what your Samsung exploder did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8
                              LOL! No, ours would just stop and give an out of balance error code.

Comment

Working...
                              X