Dehumidifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehumidifier

I have a small 1000sq ft Cabin sitting on a block wall and poured floor basement. No one is living there at the moment but I was wondering if it was possible to run a dehumidifier there on solar as it has no power at the moment. Would it be possible to maybe run it only during the day light hours only? I have a friend that has an extra 300w panel 46.12v that I could get cheap if I could make it work. The dehumidifier is 120ac which I understand I would need to buy an inverter as well. Can someone clue me in on what it would take to make this work?

Originally posted by JAFR View Post
    I have a small 1000sq ft Cabin sitting on a block wall and poured floor basement. No one is living there at the moment but I was wondering if it was possible to run a dehumidifier there on solar as it has no power at the moment. Would it be possible to maybe run it only during the day light hours only? I have a friend that has an extra 300w panel 46.12v that I could get cheap if I could make it work. The dehumidifier is 120ac which I understand I would need to buy an inverter as well. Can someone clue me in on what it would take to make this work?
    Typical dehumidifier takes about 300 watts. So you'd need about 600 watts of solar to run for a significant part of the day. You could probably do OK with two T105's in series for a 12V system; charge rate would be a little high (C/4) but since you would be using much of the power during sunlight hours that would not be as big an issue. You'd also need a good inverter (the Morningstar Suresine is a good one; so is the Prosine) and an MPPT charge controller (the Midnite Kid is also good.) The Kid also has an aux output that could be used to turn a relay on to run the dehumidifier during the day only. So that's about $700 in parts plus wiring, relay, protection and mounting. Add another $600 for the panels. You're probably looking at $1600 total, plus battery replacements every few years.

Comment

As Tim "Tool Time" Taylor says - More Power !
      Dehumidifers have a small refrig compressor in them. To start that motor, you need about a 1200w Pure Sine inverter. And at least another 300w of PV panel., A MPPT charge controller and some sort of relay to only allow unit to run with daylight. Solar is simple
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

It might be cheaper to get a few barrels of Damprid crystals and keep changing them out then to run that Dehumidifier on solar.

Comment

Working...
        X